1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DO I have a DNS problem, or....

Hi
    I'm hosting a website at home on Ubuntu 11.04 using the LAMP stack, running Apache 2.2.17.

I just registered a new domain name, and wanted it to point back to my home server. I used Xname for DNS hosting. I inserted their name servers with the company I bought the domain from.

I setup a Virtual Host - here's the output from the sites enabled config file -

Code:
    <VirtualHost *:80> 
    DocumentRoot "/var/www" 
    ServerName rightintoit.net 
    <Directory "/var/www"> 
    allow from all Options +Indexes 
    </Directory> 
    </VirtualHost>
    The site -rightintoit.net - still doesn't show in my browser. It gives a Sevrer not found error.

I'm just wondereing what I've forgotten to do - or how to troubleshoot the problem.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you ping rightintoit.net does it send the packets to your IP addresses?

Actually assuming rightintoit.net is the actual domain, I just pinged it and it didn't resolve. There is a problem with your XName configuration. Do you have an A record set up for this domain?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. They're coming to take me away

Did you set up the DNS on Xname, or did you just take the name servers and place them at the registrar?

No DNS entries are listed for that domain, so I'm assuming that after you signed up for the account, DNS was not set up to point anywhere.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  7. No Profile Picture

as of this moment, it looks like that domain's name servers are ns(0-2).xname.org. However, the hostname "rightintoit.org" doesnt resolve to anything yet. You need to create a record for this host and any other hosts you want to resolve queries for.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not a lot closer

I've changed DNS hosting, and all seems good.
    When I view the report from DNSsy it shows only a few warnings like MX Record. But otherwise good.

So, I'm wondering whether it's my Apache setup with virtual hosting. Ping doesn't work for the domain, but the IP pings OK.

I'd appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by woger; December 20th, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
  11. They're coming to take me away

It may have taken some time to propogate, but everything looks good now. I can ping domain and IP with no problem.

Comments on this post

• [JM] agrees
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Is there any reason I can't ping the domain from on my LAN? DNSsy shows that the domain is up, and show the http headers for the page, but from my LAN, I still get "ping request could not find host rightintoit.net".

That's despite shift refreshes.

Do I need to make changes on my Apache config to make it available from the LAN?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You should be able to resolve the domain from your LAN, but depending on your router setup you might not be able to access your server via its public IP from within the LAN.

You could try doing a nslookup or tracert on the domain.

A shift refresh doesn't affect DNS.

Your Apache configuration would not affect a ping.

I can ping the domain now and access the site.

Comments on this post

• [JM] agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  17. No Profile Picture

Yeap..looks like you are good. I was also able to get to your "It Works!" page.

As E-Oreo indicated, most of the consumer based routers does not support accessing an internal resource by hitting its NAT'd/Port Forwarding public IP address.

From inside your network, you can still use DNS Lookup tools to validate that you can resolve the hostname.

What you could do if you want to access it from the internal network, is add an internal DNS zone, with an internal record pointing to the private IP of this resource, or just modify the HOSTS file (point to the internal IP) of one of your internal nodes so that you can test for internal access.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Used the hosts file option.

Thanks for the advice.

Ciao

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo