1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS: Adding Additional Domain Name to NS

Greetings,

I'm a new member to this forum and this is my first post...

I'm looking to add an additional domain name to our nameserver in an effort to create two different domains clients may reference when attaching their domains to our DNS.

Currently, we have

NS1.ABC123.COM
    NS2.ACB456.COM

I want to also have

NS1.XYZ123.COM
    NS2.XYZ456.COM

So, in summary I wish to add two additional domains to our existing NS without adversely effecting the existing setup. This is on a Windows 2003 Server running Windows DNS.

Thanks for you help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

NS1.ABC123.COM does not exist! Query returns with response code 3 - Name Error

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by couttsj
    NS1.ABC123.COM does not exist! Query returns with response code 3 - Name Error

J.A. Coutts
    JA...

That was an example and not the actual domain names. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Any pointers on how I can accomplish this task?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It would help considerably if you supplied the real names. Otherwise we are just guessing.

The sample names you supplied indicate that you want to add 2 new domains to be used as host servers. To do that you must register those domains as name servers. If all you want to do is add a new domain to your existing host server, that is relatively straight forward. Simply add a new zone.

J.A. Coutts
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by couttsj
    It would help considerably if you supplied the real names. Otherwise we are just guessing.

The sample names you supplied indicate that you want to add 2 new domains to be used as host servers. To do that you must register those domains as name servers. If all you want to do is add a new domain to your existing host server, that is relatively straight forward. Simply add a new zone.

J.A. Coutts
    JA,

Yes, I want to register the new domains as name servers on the existing server and ultimately have two different domains available to use as the name server.

We are eventually transitioning away from the old domain attached to the name server.

The existing name server is NS1 . STYLETEKS . COM

I wish to add NS1 . RMSFUSION . COM so we do not need to refer to the old domain moving forward.

I greatly appreciate your insight.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by cbirchby
    JA,

Yes, I want to register the new domains as name servers on the existing server and ultimately have two different domains available to use as the name server.
    Registering of a DNS server as a Host is required at the Domain Registrar of your choosing. In the early days, all you had to provide was the IP addresses of the Host servers when registering a domain. But know you have to provide the Host names so that the root servers can direct queries to those addresses. Unless you want to let old domains expire, there is no real reason to change.

J.A. Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo