Thread: DNS Benefits...

1. cave painting, the 1st Opn Src
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

DNS Benefits...

When does a system require\benefit from installingg DNS server?

I am on the fence post about spending time to install DNS on my system.

I have a Win\Linux Network, using the Linux box to run apache to host on a Dyn. assigned IP from my DSL provider.

My Question is: Is it worth the time to learn BIND or DynDNS for this network topology?

Toad
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

When does a system require\benefit from installingg DNS server?
    It can resolve IP addresses based on human-friendly names.

I am on the fence post about spending time to install DNS on my system.
    You don't "install DNS" on your system. This would be a bit like "installing the internet" on your system. Do you mean you're about to install a DNS server? If so, will it be an authorative server serving DNS information for one or more domain names, or a DNS cache which resolves DNS queries on your behalf and stores the results locally?

My Question is: Is it worth the time to learn BIND or DynDNS for this network topology?
    Depends. What Problem Are You Trying To Solve (tm)?
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  5. cave painting, the 1st Opn Src
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Just because you can do something with free resources doesn't necessarily mean that it will be worth the time and effort to do it...
    I was asking the question in a broad\generic sense:

i.e. If I had the time, and I wanted to install a DNS service\server on my home system\network...Would I see a big benefit? Would my internet experience be faster because I'm caching site info instead of retreiving it from my ISP. Is is 'FUN' to run a dns server? Will it make me popular? Does it benefit the larger web in general or specific ways?

Small amout of sarcasm in jest aside...I was curious to know if the cost in time is worth the benefit of having a DNS server.

toad
  7. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Would my internet experience be faster because I'm caching site info instead of retreiving it from my ISP.
    Ah right, so you want to run a caching nameserver. That's the most important question answered.

Would my internet experience be faster because I'm caching site info instead of retreiving it from my ISP.
    Yes, sometimes significantly so, especially if your ISP has crappy DNS servers, and if you visit the same sites frequently.

Is is 'FUN' to run a dns server?
    I run my own authorative DNS server for my domains. Before I installed this, I had to pay $10/domain/year to easydns. It's fun not to pay someone for something that you can do yourself.

Will it make me popular? Does it benefit the larger web in general or specific ways?
    For a caching nameserver, I doubt it. My authorative server has made me more popular with the people who I host, as they don't have to pay easydns fees any more. I'm also running good DNS software (100% security track record), so I would like to think that the web has benefited from this.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo