1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS CNAME with External Exchange Server

Hi, im having problems connecting some Outlook 2011 clients to an external Exchange Server. I have a windows network which uses our company domain and have created a CNAME DNS record which connects to the external mail server. The problem is that the clients are trying to access the Exchange Server via autodiscover and are having issues getting passed the internal DNS server. Looking at the logs Outlook tries to connect via the root domain to begin with https://domain[.]com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml. It then fails and tries https://autodiscover[.]domain[.]com which times out, im assuming because of the SSL connection its trying? The strange thing is that our Outlook 2010 clients connect just fine, so the issue is with Macs. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Could you manually assign the server info in outlook instead of using autodiscover?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by seack79
    Could you manually assign the server info in outlook instead of using autodiscover?
    This was going to be my next step, however, when doing this in the past the windows Outlook clients do not save the password when manually configuring. Its something small but i have complex passwords for the mailboxes and would end up having to reissue new passwords to the users because they are "Too Complicated"
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Could you try an A record instead? Can the MAC clients resolve the domain?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo