1. No Profile Picture
    Sencha Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

DNS pointing to my computer???

I have registered a domain name using register.com a while back. I am now wanting to point my domain name to my computer but I only have an IP address. Is it possible to point a domain name to a IP address?

I emailed register.com about this but had no answer. I thought that some of you may be able to help me.

Here are the errors it gives me:

Error: You have not specified the name of a valid Domain Name Server. Please enter a valid Domain Name Server in the field(s) below and click Continue.

Error: You have entered the name of an invalid Domain Name Server or have formatted the entry incorrectly. Please reenter valid DNS information below.

Mizzory
    mizzory.org
    Last edited by mizzory; December 5th, 2001 at 06:54 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

>> I am now wanting to point my domain name to my computer but I only have an IP address

RFC says no but you can do that technically. Also, you don't need to run authoritative DNS server yourself in order to point your domain to your IP. Just inform your host to update the A record for your domain to point to your IP, not theirs.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Sencha Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

will this allow me to use things such as www.mydomain.com/some/folder/index.html ? or will I have to put 111.111.111.111/some/folder/index.html ?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Both.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

go to www.dyndns.com and pay $50 a year to allow your domain name to be pointed to your computer. There are also free versions with subdomains such as www.dyndns.org. Note that this is only if your IP is dynamic, while the dyndns.org also has a static IP option...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo