1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Old DNS entries/issues

Hey guys,
    Have some DNS issues with 2 of my servers and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
    The story is like this:
    I have bought a new server which I installed with debian8. All DNS entries for my domain[namecheap.com] were changed to link to the new server ip.
    The old server had most of the programs removed and purged. Usually i use it as a mail server using postfix and dovecot.
    I can access the new server via domain after it got updated with the proper server ip but i keep getting temporary lookup failure(s)all around the place into postfix and this could mean only one thing...
    The system(s) somehow keep seeing the old server and since nothing is there and no mail is originating from there it gives blurps.
    There is some way fix this? I mean delete/flush old dns cache/dns zone or something?

1. I can access the new server via domain.tld
    2. When I ping domain.tld it gives the new server ip
    3. When I ping mx.domain.tld it gives the new server ip
    4. Hostname/hosts on the old server were reverted to default and on the new server were updated
    Thank you for any help
  3. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1. Lookup failures on which machine? Old?
    2. Is mx.domain.tld supposed to find the new machine? I would expect it to be the old one since you're still using it as a mail server.

Anyway, sounds simply like it's using the wrong DNS server for its own queries. Did you have bind on it before? Check your resolv.conf.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

On the old machine everything is removed. The old server is even expired and the company swiped everything from it. On the new machine i get into the postfix logs the lookup errors.
    Yes, mx.domain.tld needs to find the new machine and it does. Yes i did saw bind in the process list running but never worked or edit something on it. No,no i switched the machine with everything from the old server to the new server and the old server just expired and i see now it is shutdown.

The resolv.cnf is standard OVH file,
    PHP Code:
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 213.186.33.99
    search ovh
    .net 
    Last edited by pwpx2; July 23rd, 2017 at 06:17 PM.
  7. Headless Moderator

Looks like you do have bind, because that resolv.conf says to send DNS queries to the local machine before trying that other IP address. Do you need it installed? I don't think postfix requires it, so it should only be if you want the server to act as a DNS server - either locally or as a domain nameserver.
  9. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

If you're not using bind then remove it and also remove the nameserver 127.0.0.1 line.

I assume you're configuring your DNS using a service somewhere (like your registrar for example)?
    If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, i use DNS from namecheap.com where the domain is, but it is under CloudFlare service now, only the site, the mail mx dns isn't because it wont work at all if will be under CloudFlare service. So should i remove bind service and remove the 127.0.0.1 line from the nameservers or just remove the line and restart bind ?
  13. Headless Moderator

The namecheap DNS isn't the same thing that we're talking about. Er, probably isn't.

You can
    a) Uninstall bind and remove that line, if you don't need your own DNS server (sounds like you don't)
    b) Keep the line, keep bind, but set up bind so that it does DNS request forwarding properly (which means if a machine asks it for DNS records it doesn't have, it'll ask someone else) - probably to that 213 IP address

I suggest (a). You'll find out if something breaks pretty quickly, but I think it's unlikely.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo