1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS mirror site and domain masking

Hello, I currently have a web site set up, and I just bought a new domain name that I want to mirror the existing site.

I thought the best way to go about this would be to modify the DNS for the new domain name to point to the hosting servers for the old domain name.

Essentially, I'm trying to set up domain masking so that my new domain, ie. example2.com, displays the content for example1.com while keeping the URL in the browser as example2.com. I also want to keep the old URL active as well. (sorry, for some reason the forum would not let me put in a URL).

I copied the DNS information for the A records and Nameservers from the old domain and used those for the DNS for the new domain, however, that does not seem to be working. Is there something else I need to look into?

I bought the new domain at GoDaddy, so is it a possibility that it's an issue with the way they have the DNS set up?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hiker; August 1st, 2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Formatted URL's
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Making the DNS records the same will point the new domain to the old domains existing IP address. However if it is a hosted website, you may need to inform them of it since they may be doing some http magic(domain alias). Use nslookup/dig to verify DNS. If the IP's match, your issue probably isn't DNS related.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo