1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS noob question (getting DNS queries to route to my vps)

Hi, I've never had to do any work with DNS, but I got an itch a week ago to play with a simple DNS server to learn about the service/protocol. My problem now is that I can't figure out how to get queries to be sent to this simple DNS server on a VPS of mine.

In other words, DNS queries are currently going to godaddy which responds with the IP of my domain, but I want the queries to be forwarded (is this right?) by godaddy to my VPS so that I can handle it from there.

Basic info:
    • I use godaddy for my domain names and (usualy) their basic DNS service (the one that's free with domains).
    • I'm capable of having my VPS provider host my DNS, but I usually just plug the IP of the VPS into godaddy as an A address
    • I have a freedns account if needed
    • The DNS server I'm playing with is a UDP service which listens on port 52

Let me know if I've left anything out
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS servers can answer queries for domains that they are authoritative for, and those that they must use recursion to find. The ones listed by domain registrars are supposed to be authoritative for the domain in question. Queries are usually over UDP port 53, but sometimes TCP port 53 is used.

J.A. Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo