1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS not responding

Running Server 2008. Trying to connect a laptop to the domain. Cannot find Active Directory Domain controller error message. If I go on the server and go to a virtual machine, I can add these to the domain. What would be preventing the laptops from being added to the domain?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

For DHCP, are the laptops getting the proper DNS servers (probably the IP of the domain controller)? You can verify this by running the ipconfig /all command from a command prompt and verifying the DNS server entries are correct. Can the laptop ping the domain controller by it's name (i.e., server1.domain.local)? You may have to add the computer account to the Acitve Directory Computers group first.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Solved

Yes, the laptop was getting the proper DNS. TCP are correct. I did a Server Windows Update which had a Windows 7 security update in it (Not sure if that was the solution) and I reset the firewall on the laptop. Next thing I knew I was back in business. Prior to this the laptop could ping the domain.

Originally Posted by seack79
    For DHCP, are the laptops getting the proper DNS servers (probably the IP of the domain controller)? You can verify this by running the ipconfig /all command from a command prompt and verifying the DNS server entries are correct. Can the laptop ping the domain controller by it's name (i.e., server1.domain.local)? You may have to add the computer account to the Acitve Directory Computers group first.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Sounds like it was most likely a firewall issue.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo