Thread: DNS Round Robin

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question DNS Round Robin

I have 2 irc servers at 2 different ip addresses. (small little network for friends).

I have a domain name that forwards the sub-domain to the IP I tell it to. (irc.server.com for example)

I have read a lot of different articles on irc servers and they say to use DNS Round Robin, and when I google it, I find pages that discribe how it works.

No my question is, does someone have a very easy (not a linux person) tutorial to help me set this up?

I am running Red Hat 8.0 for the directed irc server and the secondary server is FreeBSD 4.7.
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have a domain name that forwards the sub-domain to the IP I tell it to. (irc.server.com for example)
    What DNS server are you running? No-one can help you with a Round Robin setup until you tell us this.

Also, don't obscure your DNS information
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Oh, ok...

I have registered the domain name realworld-hardware.com and the company I registered from also has web hosting, mail, etc...

There is some "Domain Name Maintenance For
    realworld-hardware.com" supplied by the hosting company and I forward all the 3rd level names to the approiate IP addresses using record type A.

Now for irc.realworld-hardware.com, I have that forward to my Red Hat 8.0 linux box at my home ip address because the ircd is running on that.

(I am not a linux person and it took me a while of stumbling around in the dark to get that running.)

I have also set up a backup ircd on a different ip address on a different linux box. The only way to access the ircd on that box is to put the IP Address in with the port number.

I just want to be able for people to be connected to either server when putting in irc.realworld-hardware.com.
  7. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Create two A records for irc.realworld-hardware.com - one pointing to your home IP and the other pointing to your backup IP
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo