1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS - seperate web server

I guess I just need a better understanding of DNS, here is my question.

SO, we have a main webserver (lets call it server-A) with 2 name servers running DNS01 DNS02. We currently host multiple sites on that server and I've never had issues getting websites up.

Now, I have a completely different server that is hosting a wrodpress site (server-B) that has a private IP (our 10. network).

DO i create a record on sever-A that points to the public IP I want to use for the wordpress site and route that via our sonicwall router to server-B?

Do I need to setup DNS on server-B? I don't think thats right since the company alreay has DNS01 and DNS02 setup. I just havn't developed anything off that main server and I'm a bit confused.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

If you want server-b to be publicly accessible then it will need to be associated with a public ip. You could probably handle this at your firewall/router level by making a rule that a request coming in for IP 1.2.3.4 gets forwarded to internal ip 10.20.30.40

Then you configuring your existing DNS servers to add an A record for the domain pointing to the public ip 1.2.3.4
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by treverk
    I guess I just need a better understanding of DNS, here is my question.

SO, we have a main webserver (lets call it server-A) with 2 name servers running DNS01 DNS02. We currently host multiple sites on that server and I've never had issues getting websites up.

Now, I have a completely different server that is hosting a wrodpress site (server-B) that has a private IP (our 10. network).

DO i create a record on sever-A that points to the public IP I want to use for the wordpress site and route that via our sonicwall router to server-B?

Do I need to setup DNS on server-B? I don't think thats right since the company alreay has DNS01 and DNS02 setup. I just havn't developed anything off that main server and I'm a bit confused.
    I assume that Server-A sits on the public network with a public address, and Server-B sits on a private network behind a NAT router. The hosting server (Server-A?) for Server-B must be set to point to the public address of the NAT router, and the NAT router must be set to forward the ports in question (port 80?) to Server-B. This will work for anyone connecting to Server-B from the public internet, but further steps must be taken to access the server from the internal private network. The easiest way is to use the HOSTS file.

J.A. Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo