1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS Server is set and working properly but can not be PINGed!!

Hi all!

I have a DNS server up and running and I set my domain name to point to it and it's working properly. When I tracert my domain it is also fine, on the 10th route it gets to my server's IP address.
    But with all that, I cannot ping ns1.mydomain.com (which is working okay on the net) and I also can't ping my mail.mydomain.com and etc.

I will appreciate any help. Tnx
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you getting timeouts or DNS resolution errors? If it's timeouts, ICMP Excho Reply traffic might be blocked or just set to not do the ICMP replies at all. Traceroute does ICMP Time Exceeded to show it's hops. Those can be treated differently by firewalls.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by CaptPikel
    Are you getting timeouts or DNS resolution errors? If it's timeouts, ICMP Excho Reply traffic might be blocked or just set to not do the ICMP replies at all. Traceroute does ICMP Time Exceeded to show it's hops. Those can be treated differently by firewalls.
    Yep, I thought of that, I let Echo through my firewall. But still doesn't get PINGed. Is it possible that TLD Name Servers cached my DNS and it may be corrected after the TTL expires?!
    (Interestingly enough my mail server is also working properly! )
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ping should show you the IP it resolves to. If the IP is correct, it wont be a DNS issue anywhere(just like you can ping an IP directly and bypass DNS). At that point I would suggest packet monitoring if possible on the machine being pinged and work you way through your network to see how far the pings get.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Like CaptPikel said, maybe you have ping replies turned off in your firewall and/or router. Many home routers allow you to disable ping replies on the external IP. The windows firewall can be similarly configured.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo