Thread: DNS Settings

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS Settings

Hello everyone.

I have just installed Apache 2 on my Win2K machine, I got to the part of the installation where it asks for 'network domain' 'server name' and 'administrators email'.

I just entered in a domain name that i currently subcribe to for the time being.

Once the installation had completed itself, I opened up a web browser and typed in "http://localhost" and the defaul apache page came up. This works if i also enter in the name of my computer, and works on my internal LAN.

The next thing I want to be able to do is actually get this on the internet. I have a DSL connection with static IP and I have opened up port 80 on my hardware firewall.

i have even tried typing in my static ip address into a web browser (yeah yeah, I knew that wouldnt work!)

---

I beleive that the first step to getting my index.htm onto the web is something to do with DNS settings? (excuse my ignorance) so do I have to suy a domain from an ISP?

What I am trying to say is that I know nothing about DNS, am i on the right track thinking that the next step is resolving dns, and whats the best way to go about it?

Many Thanks!
    George.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

have even tried typing in my static ip address into a web browser (yeah yeah, I knew that wouldnt work!)
    ---
    I beleive that the first step to getting my index.htm onto the web is something to do with DNS settings? (excuse my ignorance) so do I have to suy a domain from an ISP?
    #1: this depends on your setup. by default, it would work!
    #2: you have to ask your ISP (the one where you bought the domain) to update their "A records" to point to your IP.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

So I am right in thinking that I will need to get in contact with my isp in order for this to work.

I just didnt know where to go next.

My ISP offers a service called DNS management, i take it this is what i am looking for?

Many Thanks
    George.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo