Thread: DNS Zone config

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS Zone config

Hi All,

I've been searching for an answer for a few days with no success. My end goal is to have an URL redirect to an internal IP address instead of it going out to the public DNS and back in to our webserver. The idea in my head is basically a host file entry on the dns.

192.168.1.39 webserver.info
    192.168.1.40 abc.webserver.info

So, what i tried to do was create a primary zone called info
    Using that i could successfully redirect the internal traffic where i wanted it but it blocked all other .info pages.

If i create the zone as webserver.info then the host would show up as webserver.webserver.info

Is there a way to forward the info sites past my DNS Zone? If its not here, look over there kinda thing..

Or... some other way?

Help on this is greatly appreciated!

UID
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I assume you're talking about people outside the LAN accessing something inside?

DNS has to resolve to something people can get to. People cannot get to LAN addresses. You need a proxy of some sorts: either port forwarding (like on a router) or an actual proxy on some machine.
  5. No Profile Picture

No, this would be for internal users only.

The users outside our LAN reach the webserver through the public IP. The users inside are currently also using that same link. So the web traffic is going out to our ISP DNS and then back into our network.

We want to set up this zone so the traffic doesn't reach the WAN

*edit/added*

So basically, sitting in my office now. If i want to go to our webpage i go to webserver.info which gets resolved by our ISP to 184.x.x.x (public). So if i follow my traffic, it goes to our gateway -> to the ISP -> to our gateway -> to our webserver. (only reason this is an issue at all is because our internet connection is not as fast as it should be for our current number of employees and this is taking up much needed bandwidth on the WAN)

What i want it to do is resolve to 192.168.1.39. The internal address. Since it would be on our internal DNS, only people inside our network would get the internal IP address. If i went home and tried, it would still show up through the public IP.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Look in to the Views Clause. It's known by many names (views, split, alternate, etc). It allows you to manipulate zones and the files that zone uses to answer queries. You can have an internal and external set of answers for the same zone based off of the querying IP address.

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/view.html
  9. No Profile Picture

I probably should have specified that I'm using Server 2003 built-in DNS.
  11. No Profile Picture

Ok. So it never occurred to me that i can leave the Name part blank of a Host(A).. even though it says leave blank if its the parent...

So i left it blank and thats it...

the zone is webserver.info
    with the entries
    www Host(A) 192.168.1.16
    (same as parent folder) Host(A) 192.168.1.16
    app Host(A) 192.168.1.17

and it covers everything without blocking any random .info site...

Interestingly i also found a possible solution in setting a conditional Forwarders. set .info to ISP dns and it should just pass on any query that there is no info for on my DNS.

Thanks to those who replied

UID
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Glad you got it and posted the solution.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You probably shouldn't use .info as a private top level domain. .info is an existing tld on the Internet.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo