1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy new domain - help this dummy out

Hello everyone!
    Well today I just registered the domain to my future site : Assassin-Nation.net
    I have taken some early steps into being able to host my site on one of my two machines here at home. First off I installed Windows 2000 on the box that will actually serve as my server. I would have used Red Hat Linux, but I am way to stupid to know how to work it. Secondly I have already installed & tested out Apache - PHP - mySQL so that's all fine and dandy.

My current problem is this.
    When I was registering my domain it asked for DNS names. The service provider I chose to go with was Directnic.com. Due to the fact that I do not know what DNS is entirely, I opted to have them redirect my domain to the servers IP via frames. (Top would be a Directnic hosted page, the bottom would be a page on my machine)

What I would like to know is if it is at all possible to have DNS names on my small time rig like those found on multi million dollar hosting sites. How can I get my Win2k server to host my site fully.

Thank you all very much for any advice you can pass unto me.
    - Sara M.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

First off, do you have static IP? If so, how many? If not, you can't run authoritative DNS server yourself.
    If you do have one static IP, you can, however, to tell directnic.com to change/add A records of your assassin-nation.net and www.assassin-nation.net from 66.79.10.217 to point to your static IP.
    That's all that have something to with DNS. As for others, ask in appropriate forums.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo