1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Second domain not resolving

Hello all,

I've been banging my head for about a week on this and its driving me crazy. A third party vendor installed a website in IIS on a Windows 2008 server. Our DNS server is Server 2003. This is going to be a secure website and all the proper ports have been opened. Getting to the server via IP is fine. But after addig the new sub-domain I cant access it unless I am sitting at the console of the DNS server itself. IIS can ping the DNS and vice versa. If I use the HOSTS file from a local PC it works so I am pretty sure the problem is what I am doing inside DNS. I am not the familiar with it. Should the new domain be it's own forward zone or a sub domain under our original zone?

Any info would be great. Thanks

Mike
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mgb1272
    Hello all,

I've been banging my head for about a week on this and its driving me crazy. A third party vendor installed a website in IIS on a Windows 2008 server. Our DNS server is Server 2003. This is going to be a secure website and all the proper ports have been opened. Getting to the server via IP is fine. But after addig the new sub-domain I cant access it unless I am sitting at the console of the DNS server itself. IIS can ping the DNS and vice versa. If I use the HOSTS file from a local PC it works so I am pretty sure the problem is what I am doing inside DNS. I am not the familiar with it. Should the new domain be it's own forward zone or a sub domain under our original zone?

Any info would be great. Thanks

Mike
    Mike I'm a DNS administrator, perhaps I can help you if I can collect some more details. Feel free to email me at tal at safesurfdns dot com and I'll see what I can do to for you.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Questions should be answered here in the forums, not in private email.

I assume you don't have MS DNS server running in both windows servers?

You can use tools like nslookup (windows) and dig (linux) to troubleshoot DNS issues. You should also verify the IIS website has it's own IP and isn't a virtual host using host headers. Most certificates require the domain to have a fixed ip.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Questions should be answered here in the forums, not in private email.

I assume you don't have MS DNS server running in both windows servers?

You can use tools like nslookup (windows) and dig (linux) to troubleshoot DNS issues. You should also verify the IIS website has it's own IP and isn't a virtual host using host headers. Most certificates require the domain to have a fixed ip.
    Thank you for that Dog, I'll make sure to adhere moving forward.

I was able to resolve this gentleman's issue. Was a matter of creating a simple delegation from the root domain.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Thank you for that Dog, I'll make sure to adhere moving forward.
    Typo or Freudian Slip?
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Typo or Freudian Slip?
    Hehe, sorry about that Doug. Type too fast for my own good sometimes...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Originally Posted by safesurfdns
    Hehe, sorry about that Doug. Type too fast for my own good sometimes...
    Hey, it gave me a good chuckle!
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo