1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Domain And Subdomain. Both Have Different Ips, Servers And Dns Servers

Tell me if this is ok!

1. I register newdomain.com at godaddy
    2. I set this domain's nameservers to whatever the nameservers of newdomain.com is lets say 34.32.45.34
    3. I host newdomain.com on a webserver 34.32.45.34 which also acts as a dns, same ip 34.32.45.34, (so both the webserver and dns are the same ip and server)
    4. Now on a completely different server I host mysubdomain.newdomain.com having an ip of 56.33.22.33, it also acts as a dns with the same ip 56.33.22.33
    5. In godaddy I register a separate domain newdomainnumber2.com and assign 56.33.22.33 as its nameserver. So now this new nameserver is interconnected with godaddy's network of nameservers, but is in no way connected to the first domain newdomain.com, except it hosts the subdomain mysubdomain.newdomain.com

My question

Will everyone on the internet be able to find mysubdomain.newdomain.com or do I need to do more?
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

You need to setup an entry on the DNS server 34.32.45.34 for the subdomain which points to it's IP of 56.33.22.33.

So in the zone file for newdomain.com you would have an entry like:
    Code:
    mysubdomain IN A 56.33.22.33.

Comments on this post

• dallas34 agrees
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture

Is there anything else I can do? Perhaps in the godaddy account make an entry for the subdomain to point to a different nameserver?

The reason Im asking is because this is for seo purposes and I don't google to find out. I guess they will one way or the other, but perhaps there are other ways?
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by dallas34
    Is there anything else I can do? Perhaps in the godaddy account make an entry for the subdomain to point to a different nameserver?
    As far as I know, there is no way to associate a nameserver with a subdomain, only with the main level domain name.

Google probably won't care about whether the two sites use the same nameserver or even host. Tons of sites use the same host/nameserver.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. No Profile Picture

Every domain has individual IPs and servers.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can add NS records in the main domain DNS pointing to another DNS server to handle DNS for a subdomain. GoDaddy has a faq article about setting this up somewhere in their knowledgebase.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo