1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dynamic DNS with own domain name

Hi. I used to have a internet connection with static IP address, and I had configured an A record to my IP, which worked without problems.

Now I have changed my internet connection to one with dynamic IP. Until now I have setup a account with dyndns, and created a CNAME alias for my domain name to the dyndns name.

However, I would prefer if I could link the root domain to my IP address also.

I am using a free DNS server where I can setup an A record. Theorectically I could lookup my IP from the dyndns domain name, and then enter it manually in the A record in the DNS server. However, I would have to do this manually every time my IP changes.

I was wondering if there are any free services that could do this manually for me. The service must be able to use the dyndns domain name for looking up the IP, since this is the only thing my router supports.

I know that I could do this with dyndns, if I have a paid acount. However, since this is not extremely important to me, I don't want to pay for it. If such a service does not exists, I will just continue using CNAME for my dyndns domain name.

Thanks
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

And I take it you don't want to spend the $30/year (I think) to use Dyn's nameservers?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    And I take it you don't want to spend the $30/year (I think) to use Dyn's nameservers?
    As I wrote, it is not very important for me. I will just use CNAME if a free service does not exists. I was just wondering if it would be possible with a free service.

Also I am a little bit against paying for a dyndns service, since most routers I have seen can only be setup with a dyndns account. It seams it must be a good business for them.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not sure about services but how I did that things... I have D-link Dir 300 cheap router. And there is dyndns option. So, when my IP changes - my router changes IP at dyndns. And that's all.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up You can use Dynu.com free dynamic DNS service

If you have your own domain name, I suggest you check out dynu.com because their dynamic DNS service is free even for top level domain names. You can create as many subdomains/aliases as you want and even update each individual subdomain's IP from different locations.

If you don't have a domain name, you can signup for one on dynu.com but the third level dynamic dns service has just 3 subdomains(www, ftp and mail). All subdomains point to the same IP address which is updated. I guess you could sign up for more than one third level domain name though if you need more than one subdomain.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo