1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Failure restarting BIND DNS with Webmin following above instructions

When I do the sticky of this subforum that goes on about how to set up DNS in webmin,

And then as I finish, I restart BIND DNS Server, I 'stop' and then 'start' it, in the top right corner

I get:

PHP Code:
    Failed to start BIND Starting namedError in named configurationzone localhost.localdomain/INloaded serial 0 zone localhost/INloaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa/INloaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/INloaded serial 0 zone 0.in-addr.arpa/INloaded serial 0 zone mydomain.com/INNS 'ns1.mydomain.com' has no address records (or AAAAzone mydomain.com/INNS 'ns2.mydomain.com' has no address records (or AAAAzone mydomain.com/INNS 'mydomain.com' has no address records (or AAAAzone mydomain.com/INnot loaded due to errors_default/mydomain.com/INbad zone [FAILED

I'm on a dedi. I was hoping to get one of my IPs hosted as its own nameserver, with its own dedicated IP. Somehow I think Ive failed but can't pinpoint what I've done wrong.

I'm also not sure I'll successfully be able to point the domain from namecheap to this server as I haven't experience with webmin. I'm currently fidgeting about over at namecheap to get it there, but my failure at DNS BIND seems to indicate this is a more important problem.

When in address records, I input one of the dedicated IPs, not the IP where the webmin is sitting at. But even when I later on tried the webmin IP, I also got this message about BIND.
  3. They're coming to take me away

The sticky for Webmin is probably a little outdated. I will need to get that updated at some point.

In the meantime though, can you post your zone config so that I can take a look at what you have done.

Also, at the registrar, have you placed the nameservers (and DNS hosts if needed)?
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

First of all thanks for the sticky, I think I'd be a zillion times more lost without it right now.

By Zone Config, do you mean, under BIND DNS Server in Webmin, ''Edit Config File'', this is what's there:

Code:
    //  // named.conf  //  // Provided by Red Hat bind package to configure the ISC BIND named(8) DNS  // server as a caching only nameserver (as a localhost DNS resolver only).  //  // See /usr/share/doc/bind*/sample/ for example named configuration files.  //    options {  	listen-on port 53 {  		any;  		};  	listen-on-v6 port 53 {  		any;  		};  	directory 	"/var/named";  	dump-file 	"/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";          statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";          memstatistics-file "/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";  	recursion yes;    	dnssec-enable yes;  	dnssec-validation no;  	dnssec-lookaside auto;    	/* Path to ISC DLV key */  	bindkeys-file "/etc/named.iscdlv.key";  };    logging {          channel default_debug {                  file "data/named.run";                  severity dynamic;          };  };    zone "." IN {  	type hint;  	file "named.ca";  };    include "/etc/named.rfc1912.zones";    zone "mydomain.com" {  	type master;  	file "/var/named/mydomain.com.hosts";  	};
    Over at namecheap, I also don't know what I'm doing, but under 'Nameserver Registration, I've added the IP address to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com. Despite, having added the IP, it saying only ns2.mydomain.com had updated, when I 'Find all existing nameservers', it gives me both ns1 and ns2 with the IP.

Over at domain name server setup I have also changed the custom DNS Servers to the ns1 and ns2.mydomain.com I now was hoping to get working.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by flurpny
    First of all thanks for the sticky, I think I'd be a zillion times more lost without it right now.

By Zone Config, do you mean, under BIND DNS Server in Webmin, ''Edit Config File'', this is what's there:
    No... under Webmin, it will be listed under BIND DNS Server. Look under Existing DNS Server and click on the zone you created.

Click on Edit Records File and paste what you see there.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    No... under Webmin, it will be listed under BIND DNS Server. Look under Existing DNS Server and click on the zone you created.

Click on Edit Records File and paste what you see there.
    $ttl 38400
    mydomain.com. IN SOA mydomain.com. info.mydomain.com. (
    38400 )
    mydomain.com. IN NS mydomain.com.
    www.mydomain.com. IN A 123.123.123.123
    mydomain.com. IN NS ns1.mydomain.com.
    mydomain.com. IN NS ns2.mydomain.com.
    mail.mydomain.com. IN MX 10 mail.mydomain.com.
  11. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by flurpny
    $ttl 38400
    38400 )
    You need to create additional A records. You only have an A record for www.mydomain.com. You need to create an A record for:
    mydomain.com
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com
    mail.mydomain.com
  13. No Profile Picture

Now I'm getting:

Failed to start BIND : Starting named: [FAILED]

i created address records for the ones you suggested, I think. I tried to take the ending period off them but they wouldn't budge.

this is my records file:

$ttl 38400
    38400 )
    mydomain.com. IN A 123.123.123.123
    ns1.mydomain.com. IN A 123.123.123.123
    ns2.mydomain.com. IN A 123.123.123.123
    mail.mydomain.com. IN A 123.123.123.123
  15. They're coming to take me away

If you remove the ending periods, it will make the listings relative. In other words, if you just had mydomain.com (without the ending period) it would append mydomain.com to the end giving you mydomain.com.mydomain.com. In other words, leave the ending period.

You should check your log files to see what is happening when you try to start named.

What flavor of linux are you running?

Either posting the domain or PMing it to me would allow me to assist more...
  17. No Profile Picture

I'm using CentOS 6.2.

I'll pm you my domain name.

As for checking my log files when I try to start named, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. As far as I know when it comes to log files, I go to Webmin Actions Log, and an attempt to Start BIND over at BIND DNS Server results in Failed to start BIND:Starting named: FAILED. But the webmin actions log don't show whatever is happening when this fails. The webmin actions log, however, does show quite a few actions I was up to yesterday when I was creating a-records etc.

From yesterday, the webmin actions log actually shows when I stopped the DNS Server, but it then goes on to fail to describe the attempts I made at restarting it.
  19. No Profile Picture

ok can't pm apparently, the domain in question is xmortgages dot com
  21. No Profile Picture

OK, never mind we managed to solve the problem, something about user and group had to be renamed. But we've had more bumps along the ride and right now the server won't receive emails because apparently it doesn't have RDNS according to my support. I'm wondering if that's normal.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo