1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Fastest/most efficient way to restart bind9

All I'm changing is the IP address of the DNS server, but I may be doing that a lot so is there a faster way than "/etc/init.d/bind9 restart"? I'm aiming at having as little down time as possible.

Thanks in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How much downtime do you normally get with that method? If you have rndc, you can reload specific zones. That should be quicker than a full restart.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by CaptPikel
    How much downtime do you normally get with that method? If you have rndc, you can reload specific zones. That should be quicker than a full restart.
    I haven't actually tested the time down. I just thought there would be a more efficient way than restarting an entire process.

Can you give me more information on mdc? I try googling a little and didn't seem to find anything of use.

Thanks again
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Restarting BIND may be easier and quicker. The rndc (remote name daemon controller) is a tool for controlling and manipulating named. It's very useful normally for large servers where restarts can take upwards of a minute. I have two zones on my test server and a restart is in the blink of an eye. I have rndc but never rarely use it since restarts are quicker and easier. How many zones do you have?

Here's a decent review of rndc:
    http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-bind-rndc.html

The main reasons I use rndc is for troubleshooting. Restarting named dumps the cache, however the command "rndc dumpdb" dumps the current cache to a text file so you can look at it and troubleshoot.
  9. No Profile Picture

I'm only running one zone, and it's just for testing purposes. With the way it sounds, I'll just stick with running the restart command and won't look into mrc. If it's not going to take much to restart, I'll be fine.

I appreciate the help and provided information!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, with one zone you should be fine with a restart as far as downtime is concerned. The rndc tool is an option but probably not needed in your case. It can make things more complicated and less predictable in some cases.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo