1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Some guidance - ideas - thought - please

I have two dns servers at my company. they're both at one location and we have bandwidth outages in the past.

We own a bunch of domains - some are hosted here at our HQ and some are hosted in a few cabinets we have at a data center.

our dns servers are dns1.mycompany.com and dns2.mycompany.com

The servers for mycompany.com are hosted at our data center.

So when the link goes down to our HQ no one can find our main site www.mycompany.com because they can't get to our dns server to resolve the names.

My idea is to create a new dns server and call it dns1.newcompany.com and host it at our datacenter. the primary dns pointer to newcompany.com will be dns1.newcompany.com and the secondary will be dns1.mycompany.com

I will update all of our other domains so that they're secondary dns points to dns1.mynewcompany.com so that in the event of a link failure to our HQ the backup dns server will always be up and running - unless there's a catastrophic failure at the data center.

does this sound like a decent plan?

thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Unless you have a speckfic need to keep one of the dns servers onsite I would consider moving it offsite completely.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

perhaps you can answer this question for me...

I've always worried about moving first dns server. I suppose since all of my domains point to dns1 and dns2 and dns2 is already in the data center, all I need to to is change the ip address of dns1 on dns2 about 1 day before the move in order for dns1 to get noticed as quickly as possible before I move it.

is there any advantage to changing the ttl on the actual a record for the dns server to a longer or shorter time frame. all of my TTL's are currently 4 hours.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo