1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help Setting Up Live (MS) Hosted E-Mail

Hi to everyone one, new guy here.

I'm trying to set up hosted e-mail from Windows Live. My domain provider is not much help.

I thought I could come and ask for help here.

So I set my mail up but it's send only now.
    I sent mail from another e-mail account (yes this one works fine ) to the Windows Live hosted mail and it bounced back.

I'm trying to configure the DNS settings on the CPanel of my domain provider's site.

Since it's for mail I'm assuming it would be MX records.
    There are existing MX records there already.

My first question is:
    How can I find out what / who's mail server the existing records are pointing to?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

How can I find out what / who's mail server the existing records are pointing to?
    Normally that's something you would already know. You could try looking up the IP address; that may or may not tell you. For example, if it points at a major company, like Google, then the IP is going to be labeled as belonging to Google. If it belongs to some smaller company, the information may or may not be helpful at all.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey E-Oreo, thanks for the reply.

How can I find the ip address of an MX record, though?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You would look at the MX record... either by looking at the MX record in whatever control panel you use to manage it, or you could Google for a site that lets you lookup MX records by domain. The IP is the MX record, that's literally all an MX record is.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Just thinking how I can explain this....
    When my domain provider set up the control panel for me to use, I had asked for help with the MS live hosted e-mail, so they set up some MX records.

I'm not sure if what they set up was for the MS Live service or it's the standard settings that come with the domain service. (Waiting for a reply from them for that)

On the MS Live hosted e-mail side, they asked me to verify that I was indeed the owner of the domain by creating a TXT record and an MX record. They provided the values, etc... for that. The MX record is supposed to be an invalid domain that just verifies that I own the domain and not for routing mail.

So I'm not sure how to create an MX record for the Live service.

I am looking right now to see if I can find out what records are supposed to belong to whom, as you suggested.

I wanted to copy the records here (so you could also take a look at them) but worry that it might compromise my security seeing as this is an open forum. Am I right to worry about pasting them here?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo