1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help with xname!

Hello guys. I registered a domain on xname.org, did all the configurations (i'm new in this area; this is my first domain configuration ever) and it does not work. I waited 2 days and the address still won't resolve. The purpose for the domain is for my website. Please lend a hand to a fellow starter and tell me what i did wrong. My xname config:

Code:
    $TTL 600 ; Default TTL  bluenet.com.		IN	SOA	ns0.xname.org.	iacovachem.gmail.com. (  				2013030916	; serial  				64800	; Refresh period  				3600	; Retry interval  				604800	; Expire time  				10800	; Negative caching TTL  			)    $ORIGIN bluenet.com.  			IN		NS		ns2.xname.org.  			IN		NS		ns0.xname.org.  			IN		NS		ns1.xname.org.  			IN		NS		service.bluenet.com.  			IN		NS		(URL address blocked: See forum rules)  			IN		NS		www.  			IN		NS		ns1.bluenet.com.  			IN		MX	10	service.bluenet.com.  service			IN		A		94.62.27.212  www			IN		A		94.62.27.212  bluenet.com.			IN		A		94.62.27.212
    Sorry for the code.
    edit: IP is visible from another IP, all port forwarding done, WIN DNS servers from router (router has it's own, so no DNS from xname in any win/router config)
    Last edited by reaku; March 8th, 2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: forgot to say something
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

bluenet.com lists name servers as:
    ns19.worldnic.com [205.178.190.10]
    ns20.worldnic.com [206.188.198.10]
    Both return Response Code 2 (Server Failure)

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

like i said i'm kind of new to this world so please english. is my configuration good? what seems to be the cause of my problems?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by reaku
    like i said i'm kind of new to this world so please english. is my configuration good? what seems to be the cause of my problems?
    It looks like a registration error. The registered name servers shown above have no record of the bluenet.com domain.

J.A. Coutts
  9. No Profile Picture

and how can i fix that? or how would a step-by-step registration should look like? basically i want to know what entries i'll need in order for the name (bluenet.com) to resolve to my IP. Please i would really appreciate it.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

and how can i fix that? or how would a step-by-step registration should look like? basically i want to know what entries i'll need in order for the name (bluenet.com) to resolve to my IP. Please i would really appreciate it.
    I am afraid that step-by-step instructions are impossible because of the differences between registrars. But as long as you understand the principles, you should be able to work through the differences.
    When you register a domain, you are asked to supply 2 name servers. Years ago all you had to do was supply 2 IP addresses, but for reasons unknown to me you now have to supply the names of those servers, and those servers have to be registered as domain servers. Those servers are what is described as the Host Servers, and they are Authoritative for the domain in question. When a server that is not authoritative for the domain in question is queried, it must first go to the root servers. The root servers will direct the DNS to the registered Host servers, and when one of those is queried, it will supply the IP address of the domain. This is a process known as Recursion. For a more complete explanation, see:
    "http://www.yellowhead.com/DNS_How.htm"

J.A. Coutts
  13. No Profile Picture

So basically i have to add those two above DNS servers that are attached to my domain
    to my windows configuration (to my primary and secondary DNS). Is that right?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So basically i have to add those two above DNS servers that are attached to my domain
    to my windows configuration (to my primary and secondary DNS). Is that right?
    No, that is not correct. worldnic.com has no record of your domain. Whatever servers you provided when registering your domain must be configured with your domain information.

But I am confused. Bluenet.com appears to be registered to:
    Registrant:
    Domain Manager
    The Bank of New York Mellon
    One Mellon Center Room 1820
    Pittsburgh PA 15258
    US

Domain Name: bluenet.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
    Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
    Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
    Administrative Manager
    The Bank of New York Mellon
    One Mellon Center Room 1820
    Pittsburgh PA 15258
    US

Created on..............: 1995-08-07.
    Expires on..............: 2019-08-06.
    Record last updated on..: 2013-01-30.

Domain servers in listed order:

ns20.worldnic.com
    ns19.worldnic.com
    Last edited by couttsj; March 10th, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture

when i registered the domain i used only the domain name. i did not supplied anything else (nor was i required to). xname is a free domain register. i already have attached 3 "built in" name servers, and they are

ns0.xname.org
    ns1.xname.org
    ns2.xname.org

these two

ns20.worldnic.com
    ns19.worldnic.com

do not appear anywhere in my configuration (on the website that i registered) nor are they mentioned anywhere else. On their FAQ they have a question that sounds like this: i have a primary zone. what nameservers are servicing me?. the answer displayed is:

ns0.xname.org
    ns1.xname.org
    ns2.xname.org

It doesn't make any sense. If i use DNS report it shows ns20.worldnic.com
    ns19.worldnic.com
    as nameservers attached to my domain. i find no mention of the three nameservers that should point to my domain. nor can i add the ips of the three nameservers into my windows configuration (DNS) because two of them are fully qualified (dot at the end). So i don't know what nameservers are servicing my zone, how am i supposed to configure them and so on. Basically i know that i need only to make A record to link my IP with my domain, but it does not work.
    Last edited by reaku; March 10th, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: correction
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As far as I can tell, xname.org is not a Domain Registar. It provides a free DNS Hosting service only. This is the description from their Web site:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    This Free DNS hosting service is provided to help people that don't want to lose time and money with providers not always reactive to DNS changes.

We can provide you primary and secondary name server for free (but if you like this service, please contribute !)
    All zones hosted as primary or secondary on our main server - ns0.xname.org, are automatically replicated on our secondary servers, ns1.xname.org and ns2.xname.org. We recommend to always use the 3 together for better redundancy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
  21. No Profile Picture

before i started the account bluenet.com was free. after i made the account it was not. doesn't that mean that my domain has been registered?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo