1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Hosting my domain on my own server?

Hi I'm wondering if there's any good freeware/open source programs out there that would allow me to host my domain name on my own server. I'm running apache on Windows ME (yes I know that's a bad idea) and I'm just wondering if it's feasibly possible to host my domain name on that server as opposed to using a pay service to host it.
  3. No Profile Picture

software won't help you much. You need to hook up your machine to the internet and get an dedicated IP address. The provider of that connection might also be able to couple your domainname to that IP address.

Cheers
    Mark
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

search on the web for "dynamic dns". then you can have a domain point at your dynamic ip

you donīt need any other software. the webserver is enough.

if you want to host the domain too, you need a name server, but i donīt know of any for winME. (2k: included, linux/*bsd: included)
    and for the full fun of it: a mail server.

and then: a security scanner, several virus scanners, a backup system (since someday someone will hack you!)..... and aspirin.
  7. No Profile Picture

You need

You need quite a lot of resources to do that. Dedicated IP address with at least 1mb of throughput, purchase a domain name with DNS capabilities, configure all DNS settings ( which is very troublesome ) and maintain a list of domains under it.

It is better that you find a hosting provider that offers you dedicated server services. This way, you save a lot of cost without sacrificing root access control and the simplicity of managing your domain with a control panel.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

agreed. rent a dedicated server.
    you canīt get better on bandwidth per money (here in germany 10 or 100 mbit uplink to several 154mbit ATM that go all across europe, two or three hops from the CIX / Sattelite uplink is usually for $50/Month, each GB is less than 10$. i have been told that it is even cheaper in the īstates ).

if you want to do hosting just for the fun of it, do it. in the beginning you wonīt have fun but lots of trouble. but the day the system is up and running 99.9% correctly, you will feel like GOD

after this, when you finally kicked winME off your harddisk and got everything working on linux or *bsd, youīll feel like a hyper-god from outer space

to terencelau:
    you donīt need a special domain name. just tell the registrar which ip it is supposed to point to / which ns (yours) is to be authorative. with dynamic-dns you can do it yourself in a control panel
  11. No Profile Picture

Yes, I meant that. You need access and DNS capabilities to do that. Some hosting providers do not allow you to configure extra hosting services.
  13. No Profile Picture

Yes you can host your own domain name on your server. In fact, you can host domains on virtually any server/server-like platform. There are two ways to host domain names.

1) Your isp might have a package that gives you a static ip. you can then just tie in the domain name with your ip and poof. you're done. i haven't really tried setting up a domain name on winME, i've only done it in freebsd, mandrake, win2k, and win2k adv srv.

2) if you have a dynamic ip, or an ip that changes at times, such as some broadband packages, or if you're on dial-up, then you can pay an extra amount of money for a company that will dynamically update your IP for you. An example of one of these companies is easydns (easydns.com).

hope i helped

rsdl
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

And (2) implies that you can't run DNS server and be authoritative for your own domain.
    To host your own DNS you MUST have static IP, it's a must.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo