1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Intermittent DNS resolution errors

This may not be the most appropriate forum for this question, but I'm hoping the experts with an answer are here and can help.

I have sites hosted at a hosting company. People in certain parts of the country experience intermittent periods of being unable to resolve my domain names. These periods usually don't last more than 30 minutes but can happen several times a day. The sites are up, and others are able to correctly resolve the DNS names during that time. One of the free monitoring sites, Montastic, reports it is unable to resolve the domain, so it is experiencing the same issue as these other people.

What are some of the possible causes of this intermittent problem? Are there possible misconfigurations in the DNS at my host that could cause this? Are there possible misconfigurations at those folks' service providers that could cause this?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Two main reasons.

One would be networking issues. DNS is normally transmitted UDP (connectionless, no reliability) unless the TC flag is set. So any unwanted disruption in the network could cause outages.

Second, your name servers are not resolvable. This can cause intermittent lookups for the domain under certain conditions. Can you post the domain name?
  5. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

One of the places I work for had an issue on their internal network where one of their site domains would occasionally stop working. The issue turned out to be that their secondary dns server was never updated to the new site IP when it changed months earlier.

You could try checking each of the name servers for your domain to make sure they all return a response and that it is correct.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo