1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ISP slow at updating DNS records?

I have a site hosted with a domain, and we are switching servers. I change my nameservers and wait for them to update. When I look at the status of my site a few hours later it says that it is up. But when I go to it in my browser it is still pointing to the old nameservers. When I go through a proxy server hosted outside my network, I see the updated nameservers. But again, when I try browsing it without a proxy I get the old site. I have cleared all cookies, saved sessions, offline stuff, and even restarted my modem / computer. I don't understand why I can't see an updated website, but everyone else can. Should I consult my ISP about this issue? Is it their fault?

Internet info:
    Type: High Speed DSL
    By: Qwest
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by willshire
    I have a site hosted with a domain, and we are switching servers. I change my nameservers and wait for them to update. When I look at the status of my site a few hours later it says that it is up. But when I go to it in my browser it is still pointing to the old nameservers. When I go through a proxy server hosted outside my network, I see the updated nameservers. But again, when I try browsing it without a proxy I get the old site. I have cleared all cookies, saved sessions, offline stuff, and even restarted my modem / computer. I don't understand why I can't see an updated website, but everyone else can. Should I consult my ISP about this issue? Is it their fault?

Internet info:
    Type: High Speed DSL
    By: Qwest
    First you need to know how DNS works ( try here )

Your ISP has probably cached your DNS info (as you have looked at it within it's refresh time).

Normally DNS is set ti require a refresh every 12-24 hours (21600 seconds / 6 hours is the norm if i remember correctly), So your ISP will not bother checking this record again for another x amount of seconds.

If your ISP is not cacheing your DNS. Maybe your PC is (try ipconfig /flushdns).

Nevertheless within 24 hours, you should see the changed have taken place

Hope this helped

Mike.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Did the dns flush and didn't really do anything. I guess my only option is to wait.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by willshire
    Did the dns flush and didn't really do anything. I guess my only option is to wait.
    what i normally do, a day or so before i am due to move, is change the TTL on my DNS records to something stupif like 60 seconds.

Normally circumvents that issue for me

HTH

Mike
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ISP slow at updating DNS records?
    You bet!!

As above - change the record expiration value, if your DNS server can handle increased traffic as a result.

Best regards,
    AstroTux.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo