1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Linking Win2012 server DNS with Apple AirportExtreme

I have a home network built around an Apple AirportExtreme router. This router acts as DHCP for all clients in our home network.

Next to that I am now building a testbed with Windows Server 2012 (2 hosts, a SAN, hyper-V, etc.) For this equipment I use static IP addresses (from a range excluded in the DHCP above)
    The hosts run AD and DNS. (I've set up a domain, all servers are part of it, but my clients not, because the testbed servers are not always running... the clients should work fine without the testbed servers running)

Now I'd like to share drives on the clients to the windows servers. It works, but only when mapping the drive using an IP-address. in the windows domain, the DNS doesn't know how to translate the client hostname to ipaddress, because it was give the address by the airportextreme router.

Is there a way to configure windows DNS to forward(?) lookups to the AirportExtreme router ?

So when windows wants to resolve a hostname it should first look into its own domain-dns. If nothing is found, it should then ask the router if it can resolve.

All this should of course not disturb my dns-resolving for internet-browsing on either side (servers - clients)

Tnx!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Easiest way I can think of is to edit the hosts file on the windows machines so they have a static entry in there pointing to the server.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by seack79
    Easiest way I can think of is to edit the hosts file on the windows machines so they have a static entry in there pointing to the server.
    Don't understand that.
    it is not the problem to point from the clients to the server (servers all have fixed IP so I'm ok in using IP address io hostnames)

I want the servers to be able to resolve the shares on the clients. This time I can't use IP address, as they are all DHCP.

What I do now as a workaround, is refer to the clients shares via their IP address, and set the DHCP lease time to 100 days. That way I'm almost sure the DHCP clients will get the same IP address every time.

I am also going to try to assign each server 2 different DNS servers :
    1. the DC which does DNS
    2. the ip address of the AirportExtreme router, which handles DNS for the DHCP clients

that might work, but it means I have to do it on every Server... I'd rather find a simpler way to somehow connect the 2 DNS services.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Sorry, thought you were working the other way around.

If your Airport is handing out DHCP addressess, then it should know DNS info of the clients (if I recall correctly). If you try pointing one of your DNS forwarders to the Apple Extreme what happens?

You could edit the hosts file on the server(s) as well. The IP of the lan machines is unlikely to change since you won't be using all the IPs the Extreme can dish out. Not a perfect solution but...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo