1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cannot login to a printer via IE by its IP address

Hello all,

it's my first post on this forum, i would be very happy if someone could help me.

i m lets say new in IT (3 years of experience, 2 as a system administrator) but never saw something like this.

i m an admin in a domain and we have about 50 printers (installed on a print server)
    i made an excel file with the names of these printers and pinged them to get an IP address from each one...
    later i tried to check the counters of these printers and i could not login to them by IP address neither from my pc, neither remotly from the print server (with IP address)
    The thing which makes it for me more complicated is that i can login in the printers with the printer name*
    i m not sure if thats a DNS issue, since if it was DNS, it would probably be the opposite???

hope a experienced system admin can help me with this issue
    btw i tried already to close the Firewall but still doesnt work...
    and it works for my colleagues so its not an issue with the printers...

thanks in advance,
    Ioannis
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It depends on the protocol being used on the local network, and I suspect that the printers are using NetBios. Ethernet networks inherently use MAC addresses, not IP addresses. IP addresses have to be converted to MAC addresses, and this is done through NetBios using the actual machine names which are broadcast over the network and have nothing to do with DNS. Most modern computers will provide NetBios over IP, but the printers may not. Just a guess.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

Dear LS,

the protocol which is used is Ethernet.
    well i m sure its not an NetBios issue since my colleague next to me can login by name and by IP*
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Conversion of an IP address to a MAC address is accomplished via the Address Resolution Table. If you use the command:
    C:\>arp -a
    it will list the addresses that it is currently able to communicate with. If you attempt to connect with a network device that is not in the table, your machine will broadcast an ARP request which is received by all devices on the Ethernet network. If the device with the IP address you are looking for is online, it will respond and be added to the table.

Finding the names and MAC addresses on the Ethernet network to be able to fill this table is accomplished with a Network Browser. Historically that has been accomplished with NetBios, although Microsoft implemented a service called Network Discovery starting with Vista. Unfortunately, the 2 services are not compatible.

J.A. Coutts
  9. No Profile Picture

hey couttsj,

we did that y-day and saw that everything is fine... we are on to something, will keep you updated in any case, thanks for your feedback.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo