1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Resolved: (Moved domain -- some apps recognize new loc, some don't)

[EDIT: Okay, I was able to resolve this by deleting the DNS server addresses from the Network control panel, telling Firefox to go to another web site, getting the "not connected to the Internet" error screen, and then re-adding DNS server addresses to the Network control panel. Somehow Apple Mail also started connecting to the right server. All is well.]

ORIGINAL POST:

Greetings,

I moved my domain to a new provider approx 24 hours ago. When I put my domain into various DNS checkers now correctly point to the new nameserver IPs. But I'm having weirdness on my computer.

I added an HTML comment to my index.html page on the new server, so that I could view the page source in the browser and tell which machine I was connected to.

On my Mac, in Firefox (latest version), if I type mydomainname.com, it takes me to the new server. Yet if I type www.mydomainname.com, it still goes to the old server. In Safari, however, both URLs take me to the new server.

In Apple Mail, I set up an account using mail.mydomain.com. But again, like is Firefox, Apple Mail is still connecting to the old server.

I have tried the following:

• Flushed the DNS cache using Terminal
    • Emptied the cache in Firefox (there is no comparable action in Apple Mail)
    • Changed the DNS servers in the Network control panel

No luck. Still getting the same screwy results. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    DM
    Last edited by doctormelodious; February 9th, 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Resolved

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo