1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Multiple IP Pointing to Single domain name using DNS for Failover

Is it feasible to configure multiple IP to point to a single domain name using DNS in such a way that if one server is down, the DNS would automatically redirect the request to the next IP in the list?

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not really. You can set multiple records for a host such as a web server, but DNS software will return all the results to a client asking for records. This is how a pseudo load balancing is done known as round robin. But there's no real control of the answers.

However, with some scripting/programming I'm sure it can be done. Maybe in a way that if the DNS server detects the client as being down, it would re-write the zone file and begin answering with the new record info.

There are programs out there that do what you want, but I haven't really stumbled across a free one.

http://www.simplefailover.com/
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by CaptPikel
    Not really. You can set multiple records for a host such as a web server, but DNS software will return all the results to a client asking for records. This is how a pseudo load balancing is done known as round robin. But there's no real control of the answers.

However, with some scripting/programming I'm sure it can be done. Maybe in a way that if the DNS server detects the client as being down, it would re-write the zone file and begin answering with the new record info.

There are programs out there that do what you want, but I haven't really stumbled across a free one.

http://www.simplefailover.com/
    Thanks for your reply, CaptPikel. Looks like I may need to explore on some other alternatives.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo