Thread: Name Servers

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Name Servers

One of our servers has changed IP Address and so we are changing all of our domains. How and where do we actually change the IP Address that's associated with the name. I really don't understand this at all.

Our name servers are listed below:
    ns0.actual-systems.com
    ns1.actual-america.com

the bottom one is the one that has changed and as far as I am aware these used to be changed through internic.

I would appreciate any help as I am now really confused.

Thanks

Tony
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

One of our servers has changed IP Address and so we are changing all of our domains.
    That's a bit drastic. Do you mean that you're changing the IP address that the domains names resolve to?

How and where do we actually change the IP Address that's associated with the name.
    You would do this on your name servers - ns0.actual-systems.com and ns1.actual-america.com in your case.

If the actual name server has changed IP address, then you will need to change its IP address in the records on the other name server and on itself, so that it will be correctly identified after the name has expired from caches around the internet.

Hope this helps.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  5. No Profile Picture

If your name server IP has changed, then you have to submit a host change to whereever your host name is registered. Any A records that specify the host name for a name server do not have to be changed individually, the change of the host record will take cause the root servers, etc, to use the right dns.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Not a Junior Member :)

Hi actual,

IF your nameservers have changed IPs, then you don't have to change your records. However, you may need to change your /etc/resolv.conf or name server setting (depending on your operating system.

IF your server changed IPs, then you'll need to do the one of the following:

Contact your DNS manager and tell them that the IP for such and such host must be updated to the new IP.

If you are using an online DNS service, you'll want to change the "A Record" associated with the host and replace the old IP with the new IP.

If you are managing your own DNS, please let me know what you are using for a DNS server and I will outline exactly what you must change.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo