1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Nameservers - Multiple Websites - Confused

Alright, let's see if you can follow this. Currently I have everything up and running but I am starting to think that I am "doing it" all wrong. I have about 6 totally different websites that I run off of my home server (Windows 2000 Advanced Server - IIS). Currently, I just have 1 Website created in my IIS settings. Then I have a folder within that Website directory for each of my other websites.

I then use ZoneEdit to point my different websites to the certain folder I want. For example, assume I have 3 websites (subdomains): www.test.com personal.test.com marketing.test.com Let's say my home IP address is 1.1.1.0

So I set zoneedit entries to forward www.test.com to 1.1.1.0

And I set zonedit to forward personal.test.com to 1.1.1.0/personal

And I set zoneedit to forward marketing.test.com to 1.1.1.0/marketing

NOW... Here is what I would like to do and what I think I should be doing. I would like to set up 3 Websites in IIS and not use ZoneEdit at all. So I assume I should create the 3 websites in IIS and set the hostheaders appropriately. But then what nameservers do I use in my "domain Name" configuration? Currently, they point to zoneedits nameservers. Can I create my own nameservers at home? How do I accomplish that?

The reason I want to separate these into separate websites is to have separate logs for each website. If ANYONE understands this at all and has any comments please feel free! If you have some comments and would rather IM me about them, I use Yahoo Messenger "rknuppel" and AOL "rknuppel4"

Thanks,
    Ryan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't cross-post next time.

>> But then what nameservers do I use in my "domain Name" configuration?

It depends on what real IP should 1.1.1.0 be. That's why I said all the times: don't obscure your data, especially your IP

>> Can I create my own nameservers at home? How do I accomplish that?

Really, all depend on your real IP, the type of internet connection and number of IP and all that. But so far you haven't provided anything.
  5. No Profile Picture

Re: Detailed domain settings

Alright... Here is some detailed information. I'm getting frustrated with this

- My domain: www.knup.net (with domain-maniac)
    - Within domain-maniac i have my nameservers pointing to zoneedit.com (ns7.zoneedit.com - ns4.zoneedit.com)
    - From zoneedit I use web-forwarding and forward www.knup.net to http://64.40.77.238 (my IP)
    - I also forward mall.knup.net to http://64.40.77.238/Mall
    - I only have 1 website created in IIS. Each directory within this website contains a "separate" website.
    - This configuration works fine. But I would like to create multiple websites in IIS. And then set up host headers to work with each of these subdomains. That is what I am having problems with.

1) I'm not sure if I need to configure DNS on my own machine?
    2) I'm not sure if I even need to use Zoneedit (i would like to get rid of it and just use my domain-maniac settings to get this done.)
    3) I don't know what nameservers to use with domain-maniac if I don't use the zoneedit nameservers.

So there are some details and questions. Anyone have any ideas? Or anything sound dumb?

p.s. Sorry for cross posting. It was honestly an accident Won't happen again!

Thanks,
    Ryan
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1) No, and you can't anyway.
    2) I don't know what domain-maniac is. If your IP is dynamic then just face it and continue to use Zoneedit or another similar service providers (which I don't know or care because they are all suck).
    3) If your IP is not static you just can't host your own domain, as simple as that.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo