1. I am still learning
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

how to put a newly registered domain name to my url?

I just got a new domain name - www.hello.com for example. I was given a username & passwd to login to http://www.manage.opensrs.net and I was require to alter the setting to suite my news. Everything seems to be alien to me. All I ever wanted is to point my www.hello.com to my webpage hosted on geocities. How can I do this myself (I am not tight budget)? What are the steps involve?

Thanks
    I have yet to find the right way to do it.

www.genedavinci.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

hi!
    if you can do this in the console (the www address where you need login&pw), make your URL point to the IP that your geocities site has. does the console offer "forwarding"? (not email-forwarding!)

if not, you need to ask your registrar if they offer this at all, if not you need to switch your DNS provider
    usually you register domains with the provider you also host at(geocities), then you have the minimum possible problems.

anyway, you should have asked their support (the DNS providerīs) and not us - they KNOW the solution, we can only guess

you could go for a re-routing solution too (but then people will not see your domain name in the address bar):
    write a php script to send the header "location: pages.geocities.com/asdasdasd/index.html". and put it as index.php into your domain. but this is probably not what you wanted...
    Last edited by M.Hirsch; May 19th, 2002 at 06:41 AM.
  5. I am still learning

mmm.. I understand now. thanks for your answer.

Cheers.
    I have yet to find the right way to do it.

www.genedavinci.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet

In the OpenSRS Domain Manager, you specify your nameservers.

Since you are using a free GeoCities account, you will want to use nameservers that support URL forwarding. Some will allow you to mask the URL by buring your site in a frameset.

There are a number of these out there - everydns.net and mydomain.com are just a couple of options.

Your registrar may also offer this service, but there is no reason to change registrars if they don't offer it. The free ones work fine.

-t

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo