1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Something odd going on...

I've set up virtualmin on my server, and it seems to be working okay, however, I'm not recieving emails at all, they don't even show up in /var/logs/mail.log

I have a nasty feeling there may be an issue with my dns setup. Like, y'know, a reeeeeeally sticky issue.

I currently own the domain ideawatts.com, which is being the nameserver domain, i.e. ns1.ideawatts.com correctly points to my server. Both ideawatts.com and www<dot>ideawatts.com A records within virtualmin are also pointing to the same correct IP. ideawatts.com works correctly, www<dot>ideawatts.com brings up another website, not owned by me, and nothing to do with me whatsoever, powerful-eu.org or something. Which... is kinda weird.

Now, I have another domain (cityapartmentsnewcastle.co.uk), which all works fine, except for the fact that it won't recieve emails ... yet the A record for mail.cityapartmentsnewcastle.co.uk (and mail.ideawatts.com) is set correctly within virtualmin

So ... does anyone have any ideas?

Lauren.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by laurenblackfox
    I've set up virtualmin on my server, and it seems to be working okay, however, I'm not recieving emails at all, they don't even show up in /var/logs/mail.log

I have a nasty feeling there may be an issue with my dns setup. Like, y'know, a reeeeeeally sticky issue.

I currently own the domain ideawatts.com, which is being the nameserver domain, i.e. ns1.ideawatts.com correctly points to my server. Both ideawatts.com and www<dot>ideawatts.com A records within virtualmin are also pointing to the same correct IP. ideawatts.com works correctly, www<dot>ideawatts.com brings up another website, not owned by me, and nothing to do with me whatsoever, powerful-eu.org or something. Which... is kinda weird.

Now, I have another domain (cityapartmentsnewcastle.co.uk), which all works fine, except for the fact that it won't recieve emails ... yet the A record for mail.cityapartmentsnewcastle.co.uk (and mail.ideawatts.com) is set correctly within virtualmin

So ... does anyone have any ideas?

Lauren.
    Welcome to Dev Shed.

Can you post your DNS configuration?

When trying to receive email, are you sending from outside or inside the network? (or both...)

If from outside, do you have the correct port(s) forwarded/opened (if using a router/firewall)?

What mail server are you running? How are you trying to check email... (Directly on the server or via a client such as webmail or Outlook)?

What OS are you running?

In your DNS, I don't see an A record for ns1 and ns2 .... do you have A records for your nameservers?
    Last edited by hiker; April 13th, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

Can you post your DNS configuration?
    Yes, i'm pretty sure i can if you tell me how to find a comprehensive config.
    When trying to receive email, are you sending from outside or inside the network? (or both...)
    Internal emails work fine, sending from external to my server does not.
    If from outside, do you have the correct port(s) forwarded/opened (if using a router/firewall)?
    Server is temporarily without firewall whilst i'm diagnosing, and It's a hosted VPS, dedicated IP so no worries about forwarding etc.
    What mail server are you running? How are you trying to check email... (Directly on the server or via a client such as webmail or Outlook)?
    IMAP: Dovecot
    SMTP: Postfix
    Checking via thunderbird which connects, authenticates fine, can send an email to google, but when I send a reply back, it never arrives, does not show on any log.
    What OS are you running?
    Ubuntu 8.10LTS w/Virtualmin
    In your DNS, I don't see an A record for ns1 and ns2 .... do you have A records for your nameservers?
    Yeah, i did do.
  7. They're coming to take me away

It actually seems as though your mail server is running fine. Can access the server on ports 25, 110, and 143.

Check directly on the server to see if the email is received. Also, if you have a webmail client set up, check there as well. Maybe a junk/spam folder... Do you have a spam filter setup on your server?
  9. No Profile Picture

the email is not appearing on the server at all - it's not appearing in the logs, and it's not appearing in the mailroot folder for any account, or any folder, it's as if the server never recieved the email at all.

I need this for, in like 3 hours, so I'm just going to shunt the whole thing over to my old server, so I can actually have it running. I'll tackle this again tomorrow with a fresh head.

Would you mind if I PM'd you on, say, friday and perhaps you could give my config a bit of a shakedown?
  11. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by laurenblackfox
    the email is not appearing on the server at all - it's not appearing in the logs, and it's not appearing in the mailroot folder for any account, or any folder, it's as if the server never recieved the email at all.

I need this for, in like 3 hours, so I'm just going to shunt the whole thing over to my old server, so I can actually have it running. I'll tackle this again tomorrow with a fresh head.

Would you mind if I PM'd you on, say, friday and perhaps you could give my config a bit of a shakedown?
    That's fine, although I don't think you'll be able to send a PM until your postcount is either 5 or 10.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    That's fine, although I don't think you'll be able to send a PM until your postcount is either 5 or 10.
    well, that's okay - i'll post around and try and be a bit helpful when things calm down a little bit.

Doing a bit of slice-and-dice with a network in a hotel this week ... nightmare >_<

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo