1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Primary and Secondary with one ip

Hi,

I currently only have one public ip. From what I have read the secondary nameserver is only used if the primary fails. Since I am only learning to set up dns can I just use my one ip for my primary and secondary dns ip's OR should I just register ns1.mydomain.com using my one static ip will this work??

Is this correct. I already own a domain with network solutions. I log in there and register my domain as a host
    ns1.mydomain.com xxx.54.67.122
    ns2.mydomain.com xxx.54.67.122

Then change my domain name nameservers to my new nameservers? ns1 and ns2

I read somewhere you need at least 2 ip's to register your domain as a host is this true? I don't want to pay for a second ip yet while i'm still learning and I only have one pc with one nic card

Thanks, Jenn
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

for learning purposes, you could setup two nameservers on one host, but it will be quite some work.
    you should really use a local-only setup. get a second machine and test it in a local network (192.168.*)
    I read somewhere you need at least 2 ip's to register your domain as a host is this true?
    What did you read? IMHO this is total bull****. Any machine on the net is a "host" (no need to register with anyone but maybe your dial-up ISP) and to register a domain, one IP is more than enough. (you can even do it without a single IP!)
  5. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    >> I read somewhere you need at least 2 ip's to register your domain as a host is this true?
    I think one of the major domain registrars (Network Solutions??) used to impose this restriction a few years ago. Other registrars didn't care and I think they stopped caring too.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can register::
    ns1.yourdomain.com
    ns2.yourdomain.com

to the same IP address and point your domain name's primary and secondary to your newly registered nameservers.

I am not sure about networksolutions, but directnic.com will allow you to assign mulitple nameservers to 1 IP address.

Also, you could share secondary DNS service with another user in your same boat and register ns2.yourdomain.com to your shared "slave" server.

good luck,
    -ab
    Do it yourself webserver: Everything you wanted to know about running a webserver from broadband.
    http://www.diywebserver.com
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

good idea, do it on a mutual agreement. you host his secondary, he hosts yours...
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks all who replied.

I did manage to get the ns1.mydomain.com hosts registered and for my ns2 I just incremented the last octet of my ip by one. I know it's a bogus secondary but it's working for now. I'll take the suggestion to find someone or a service to run slave fo me.

btw - it must be the way network solutions has there script wrote to register hosts online if you don't enter second nameserver and ip it will not record the first one so it seems with them 2 are required.

Best Regards, Jenn
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> the secondary nameserver is only used if the primary fails

Absolutely wrong. Unlike MX record where there is a priority preference, when it comes to nameserver they can be queued RANDOMLY and simultaneously.
  15. funky munky
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I just read this about the IP uniqueness problem for domain registration:

A big problem (regarding IP uniqueness) has now been fixed. The problem was that Network Solutions, which manages .com etc., insisted on IP uniqueness: if anyone had already registered the same IP address for another server name, you wouldn't be allowed to use the IP address. However, company representative Matt Larson wrote the following on 4 April 2002:

The limitation of only one name server (i.e., A record) per IP address was an unfortunate Registry-based restriction that was removed on January 19 of this year. ...
    bit hard to follow this quote out of context - the whole article is here: http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/dot-com.html.

Does this mean the requirement that 2 DNS servers for a given domain cannot point to the same IP address is now obsolete?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo