1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PTR Record Issue

Hi,

i am using freedns.ws as my dns server to manage my dns needs of my vps server.

everything works fine except ptr records,i tried seeting address : x.x.x.x [my host ip address] and point to : mydomain.com but it says :Error: Invalid PTR records.

here is the form that i should fill, what formation should i use ?
    Code:
    http://www.imagedoll.com/out.php/i18713_dns-ptr.jpg
  3. Contributing User

Please make sure that you have entered the right IP. Please dont leave any space.
    ASPHostPortal.com
    Best in Windows and ASP.NET-based hosting
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee|24/7/365 Technical Support
    "Do good things, and good things will come to you”
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Portal88
    Please make sure that you have entered the right I. Please don't leave any space.
    i did test it about 100 times , i used any combination possible, but it didn't work !!

i entered ip address in [address] field and domain name in [points to] field , don't know what is wrong !!!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are you hitting update zone or add PTR record? Sounds like you're doing everything right. Maybe send an e-mail to the admin(s)? Sorry, haven't used that program before. Usually PTR records look like x.x.x.x PTR FQDN. Don't forget the "." at the end of the FQDN (i.e., mydomain.com.).
  9. No Profile Picture

yes, i am hitting update zone button, and i am adding "." at the end of FQDN, no luck it reports error,i made contact to their support but no one responded before i post in this forum.

is there any reliable,stable and free dns hosting that support ptr records too ?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Check out http://freedns.afraid.org/ but I'm not sure if they do PTR records or not.
  13. No Profile Picture

solution

solution
    if your ip is 172 period 16 period 1 period 10

In Address write to 10 period 1 period 16 period 172.in-addr.arpa and Points to put my period domain period com with the period at the end
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you actually authoritative for your reverse zone? It's pretty rare to be authoritative for your own reverse zone. Usually you will get the ISP/hosting company to set up your PTR record for the IP address they own on their auth servers. The PTR has to be set up on the authoritative name servers for the IP address, usually different than the domains authoritative name servers that you control. Your link to the screenshot doesn't work for me so I'm not sure what it showed, so maybe I'm missing something.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo