Thread: question

1. pogremar
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

getting to a linux dns server through a windows xp machine

I have 3(three) computer networked. Two of them are running windows xp and two of them are running redhat 8 (one has dual boot capabilities)

All three computers can connect to the web. The actual modem,(Alcatel speedtouch) from bellsouth, is connected to the one of the windows XP computers. I would connect it to the linux one and save all the trouble, but there are no drivers for it. I'm running Apache, php, mysql in the linux box and would like to use that as my server for people to connect to my site. But because I cannot hook up the modem directly to this computer, I having a little trouble.

Is it possible to run A DNS server, as well as an Apache server, Mysql server, php, etc, on the linux machine, then somehow have it so that when people connect to mysite.com, the query would go thru the windows xp machine to the linux box containing the dns and apache server. That machine would then server the content and somehow send that info back thru the windows xp machine.

As you can see, the only reason I have the windows machine connected is because I need it to run the modem and internet connection.

I would appreciate links to some documention if this is posible, unless you guys can describe this thing in your own words.

thanks

EDIT:

Sorry about the ambigious title. I didn't realize it until I had clicked post. I changed it, as you can see on top of the message, but it didn't update on the previous page.
    Last edited by kubicon; July 22nd, 2003 at 12:48 AM.
    Some day I'll create a smart quote to put here.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I seriously doubt you'll get that to work because I don't believe the Windows Internet Connection Sharing has the capabilities to forward requests to internal clients.

Are you sure there's no drivers for the Alcatel speedtouch modem floating around the net? I had DSL through bellsouth about 3 years ago and had that modem working on a FreeBSD machine.

Have you even searched the net?
    http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/spe...h/user.en.php3
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/speedtouch/
  5. pogremar
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I had searched the net for the drivers but you had to do a bunch of things, such as compiling a new kerner. I tried it but it didn't work.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo