1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about Recursive Queries

I see everywhere sugguest no Recursive Queries.
    But in my setup, I have two DNS servers, if I disable Recursive Queries, it seems my internal servers cannot use them to parse domains, I want to know how this usually be handled?
    thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

With a recursive name query , the DNS client requires that the DNS server respond to the client with either the requested resource record or an error message stating that the record or domain name does not exist. The DNS server cannot just refer the DNS client to a different DNS server.

Recursive name queries are generally made by a DNS client to a DNS server, or by a DNS server that is configured to pass unresolved name queries to another DNS server, in the case of a DNS server configured to use a forwarder.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by vincewicks
    With a recursive name query , the DNS client requires that the DNS server respond to the client with either the requested resource record or an error message stating that the record or domain name does not exist. The DNS server cannot just refer the DNS client to a different DNS server.

Recursive name queries are generally made by a DNS client to a DNS server, or by a DNS server that is configured to pass unresolved name queries to another DNS server, in the case of a DNS server configured to use a forwarder.
    THanks, but I don't quite understand, if when recursive is enable, you will get "the DNS client requires that the DNS server respond to the client with either the requested resource record or an error message stating that the record or domain name does not exist", what will you get when the recursive is disabled?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo