1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about slow home server, router, etc.

I've run a home server for years (Linux, Apache, etc.) and always had a Comcast business account. It just worked out that, wherever I lived, the cable had been provided by Comcast. Recently I moved to an area which is serviced by Charter. Load speeds are absolutely horrific, even with a business account, but I noticed the following: when I bypass a router the speeds are comparable to Comcast (almost identical). With Comcast, they give you a modem which you port. Charter gives you a simple modem which needs to be run into a router, then to your server. IN other words, the router is built into the Comcast modem. All I know is that when there is no router involved, Charter - as I've said - is quite fast. The minute I plug into a Netgear wireless router the server slows down terribly. I tested it by installing Apache on XP and just running directly off the Charter modem. A PHP info page loaded faster than 98% of pages on the web (per pingdom.com) but the same page - on my Linux server, run through a Netgear router - loaded slower than 76% of all sites. I'm an idiot with these sorts of issues. This is a pretty broad question, but is there anything I can do to fix this? Do I need a particular kind of router or something...? Also, there aren't any sort of filters nor firewalls running on the router. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by 88guy; June 11th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I would suggest trying a different brand router.
    I've never really been a fan of netgear routers..I've had no issues with their switches or even setting up a netgear router as strictly a wireless AP.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You might want to verify your WAN settings with your provider, unless you're simply using DHCP for the WAN.

My primary router is a netgear on FIOS and it works great.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Doug G
    My primary router is a netgear on FIOS and it works great.
    I don't remember the models of the few I've tried, but, I had issues with port-forward rules actually staying set on one..and I also couldn't do loopback on any for some reason.

I've had no issues using my D-Link for either of the above. I'm actually dreading the day that my DI-604 finally shoots craps, as its been a very good router for me.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the suggestions

Code:
    You might want to verify your WAN settings with your provider, unless you're simply using DHCP for the WAN.
    Thanks, Don, but it's a static IP and the router is configured correctly.. Man, I've got some guys who pay me for the hosting and I'm in a real crack. The whole thing is baffling to me because, first, I just hooked up to my gal's home account. It was $30 a month. They came out yesterday and bumped the thing up to a commercial account with significantly more bandwidth (supposedly) and significantly more money. The speeds are the same. I'm confused (what else is new, eh?). Don't know what I'm gonna do. Wordpress sites are loading slower than 92% of sites on the web. Got a mess on my hands. Maybe I need to move, again.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You said it's fine when you connect directly to the modem right? I'd call Charter and see what MTU setting you should have set on the router. Typically this isn't an issue, but it's worth looking into. You'll probably get someone at first that has no idea, just press on until you get someone that knows what they're doing. Have you tried updating the firmware on your router as well? I remember a few years ago when Linksys had their famed WRT54G routers.....they wouldn't work right out of the box with new Comcast equipment; you had to download the firmware and update the router first.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Firmware update

Code:
    Have you tried updating the firmware on your router as well?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I stopped by a computer store, today, where some friends work. A buddy suggested the same thing - I'll give it a try.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo