Thread: A record set up

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A record set up

To anyone who can help me,
    I firstly want to say that this is out of my remit and because my client is struggling with this part of a new website development programme having organised the new website, I wanted to help them out on this issue.
    My client needs an a record setting up so that they can change their existing website designer and hosting company. Having built a website more focused on sales all we need to do is get this one thing changed so we can get the new site live however I have hit a brick wall.
    Here is the low down:
    They are the registrar of their URL
    They get billed annually by company a for renewal
    Their current site is managed by b
    The site is hosted with them but at a third party c

Having called company b they say they do not manage the dns
    So I called company a who say neither do they
    I called my client to ask if he had access to an admin panel he says he doesn't
    I emailed company a back, no answer
    Called company b, no help
    Emailed company a again to ask if they renew the URL with them then why don't they manage the dns, they say that a few years ago that someone involved with the client requested an external dns service and now their control panel cannot be used. They say I need to contact a web address inter....co.uk

If you think you can help or steer me in the right direction that would be great. I can provide names and addresses and so forth, thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I may be wrong here, but, to my knowledge, the registrar for the domain should have the DNS info [at least the nameservers of the current DNS setup]...even if they aren't the ones running the DNS for the domain.
    If you can find the nameserver IPs or domain names it will point you to where you need to go to actually get the A records changed.

Running a DIG or NSLOOKUP for the domain in question should, also, tell you the current nameservers that are AUTHORITATIVE for it....which should lead you to where the current DNS servers are for that domain.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    I may be wrong here, but, to my knowledge, the registrar for the domain should have the DNS info [at least the nameservers of the current DNS setup]...even if they aren't the ones running the DNS for the domain.
    If you can find the nameserver IPs or domain names it will point you to where you need to go to actually get the A records changed.

Running a DIG or NSLOOKUP for the domain in question should, also, tell you the current nameservers that are AUTHORITATIVE for it....which should lead you to where the current DNS servers are for that domain.
    Ok so I did an ns look up which tells me that there are no authorative responses. The URL interdns.co.uk keeps coming up
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

would you mind posting the domain in question (that needs the A record changed)?

there are others on here that may have better tools to help you out and by providing that much info I believe it will help.

EDIT: It is quite possible that interdns.co.uk is providing the DNS for your client's domain, but, the registrar of the client's domain will be where you would need to go to change where the DNS points to for that domain.
    Last edited by DonR; August 24th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

[QUOTE=DonR]would you mind posting the domain in question (that needs the A record changed)?

there are others on here that may have better tools to help you out and by providing that much info I believe it will help.

EDIT: It is quite possible that interdns.co.uk is providing the DNS for your client's domain, but, the registrar of the client's domain will be where you would need to go to change where the DNS points to for that domain.[/QUOTE

Thanks this is much appreciated. The registrar is johnhwines.co.uk my client but he doesn't have access.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I assume that johnhwines.co.uk is your client's domain.

here is the "whois" info for that domain

Code:
        Domain name:
            johnhwines.co.uk

Registrant:
            <not important>

Trading as:
            <not important>

Registrant type:
            UK Sole Trader

Registrant's address:
            <not important>

Registrar:
            Zero-1 Limited [Tag = ZEROONE]
            URL: http://www.zero1.co.uk

Relevant dates:
            Registered on: 27-Oct-2004
            Expiry date:  27-Oct-2014
            Last updated:  14-Nov-2012

Registration status:
            Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
            ns1.interdns.co.uk        83.170.124.44
            ns2.interdns.co.uk        83.170.124.7

The registrar is: Zero-1 Limited
    The nameservers (where DNS is setup) point to interdns.co.uk .

So, to change the A record for johnhwines.co.uk, you can either setup a different DNS acct. somewhere and point to the new nameservers from it at the Zero-1 registrar, then, setup the new A records....or , you can find a way to login to the interdns.co.uk DNS acct. and just change the A record there.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your help on this
    That company said that they can't change the dns setting.
    How do I set up a new dns account if somewhere there is one already
    And yes I'm blonde!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're considering switching dns server providers, you need to be authorized to make changes to the domain registration record for the domain. That's where you identify the authoritative dns server(s) for the domain.

Then you would set up dns management for the domain at the new dns provider, where you or someone at that provider will be authorized to make changes to the dns zone records so you can add the appropriate host records that point to your web server, mail server, etc.

Your web server and mail server can be on any computer and where they are doesn't affect dns, other than you need to make the appropriate dns entries.

Just FYI, I register domains through godaddy.com, and they offer free dns management for domains you register there. They have a web-based dns management application that you can get to when you're logged in to your godaddy account.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo