Thread: C-Records (?)

1. Super Genius
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

C-Records (?)

I'm trying to mirror a site on my home machine that we are hosting at the office (locally to aid in development - this will not be seen by the public). Unfortunately I'm not experienced at all with dns. After I set up my httpd.conf and added the virtual hosts I'm stuck . I understand that I'm supposed to set up C-Records with my dns server.

I've looked for a while for a walkthrough for this but can't find any. If anyone has any suggestions or any good documentation (manuals, etc) please let me know.

Cheers,
    Mike
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> I'm trying to mirror a site

Please define mirroring a site. And for that, what exact steps you think should be taken?
  5. Super Genius

Oops ...

Sorry... When I say "mirroring a site" I mean that I am simply making a backup copy of the site so that I can put the site on my home machine. Doing this mirror will speed up development when I'm at home because I could do work on the site, test it locally to see if everything works, and once I'm satasfied I will then upload. I suppose another way to put it would be that I'm making a test server.

I plan on doing this with several sites that I'm developing so that if I needed to view the current version of the site I could go to whatever.localhost.

I have sucessfully set up my httpd.conf for apache, and from what I understand, all I need to do now is add a C-Record (I believe that's what they are called) to my DNS.

As you can probably tell, I'm not very educated when it comes to DNS so if I'm going about this entirely wrong or if there is a much better way - please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
    Mike
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> all I need to do now is add a C-Record

Actually you only need to use /etc/hosts file. For example:

127.0.0.1 localhost.domain.com localhost whatever.domain.com anotherone.domain.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo