1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How can I redirect my domain name to use a DNS server that I made on Windows Server

Hi all

I have a DNS server configured on a Windows Server 2003 R2 up and running. There is no problem locally, all records all in place and everything is alright.
    I have a domain name for example domain.net. How do I set my domain name to use my DNS Server?
    My web hosting company allows me to change the DNS address but it only accepts name servers such as ns1.example.com . So I can not enter my Server IP address.
    I made two A records ns1 and ns2 in my DNS Manager on server, But when I enter them for DNS Address in my web hosting company panel it says that "Your nameserver is not valid".
    What should I do?
    I'll appreciate any help that you can give, I'm in a pretty tight spot and I need this quickly. thanks a lot.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You have to provide the registrar with the host names and IP's of the name servers. That information will be used to make Glue Records. As long as you have records in the server so it can resolve itself, your records locally should be fine. I'm not familiar with all companies but there should be a section to enter a hostname and IP and sometimes a separate section to enter the name servers hostnames. It sounds like you only found the latter. You should contact them to get it set. They will be able to help you the best.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks very much. I kinda figured it must be a problem with my domain.

Isn't there anywhere else that can provide me with a registrar so I could bind my server IP address to a DNS Server name (e.g ns1.exampl.com)?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can google registrars. Some of the big ones are godaddy and network solutions. I have a domain at godaddy and I know they will allow you to use your own DNS servers. I believe Network Solutions will too. I'm not familiar with any other big ones that will (I'm sure that many do).
  9. No Profile Picture

I'd probably need to change my domain name provider.
    Thank you very much.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo