1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Registered Domain and Dynamic DNS

I've been reading up on dynamic DNS (dyndns.org) and client software but I still don't understand how this would effect my domain registered and hosted with my ISP. Specifically, my ISP has two nameservers, primary and secondary. Now, if I subscribe to the dyndns.org service and define a subdomain which will be pointing to my home workstation but use my registered domain,

Do I have domain names located in multiple nameservers?

Is there any impact to the domain and subdomain being in different nameservers?

Does the dyndns.org service pull my domain from my ISP into their nameservers?

I'm a systems developer with a few clients and would like to provide connection to my workstation to access HTML, FTP, etc. without having to move it to my ISP. Thoughts? Suggestions.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

dyndns

OK, here is a quick breakdown of how this works. If you are going to reference your domain through dyndns then you need to use the DynDNS nameservers as your primary and secondary nameserver for your domain, which may conflict with your isp.

second, you may want to consider running an alternate domain name for your home server rather than trying to subdomain from an exsiting domain. That is if you are planning on running off a dynamic connection.

My seggestion would be one of 2 things.

1. Get another domain name to use for your dynamic service.

or better yet,

2. get a static IP address from your broadband provider. Then subdomain naming would be much more simple.

The reason for this is that if you own you-domain.com and want to subdomain with dyndns, then your have to have your-domain.com resolve to the dyndns nameservers which would render your isp hosting more or less useless.

there is some usefull information here: http://www.diywebserver.com

good luck,
    -ab
  5. No Profile Picture

That's what I thought, the ISP would be worthless.

I'm moving towards running my own web server, so the link was very helpful. Thanks.

leo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo