1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Resolving Domains

I am a web designer not an IT expert, so I am running into a problems that I can't understand. I have been using a hosting provider called ICDsoft and domains at Godaddy. If I set the name servers of my domains to ICDsoft in my Godday panel, then they end up going to my primary domain for the ICDsoft hosting. Example if I have a domain parked at ICD as mysecondarydomain.com and I type that in my browser then end up at myprimarydomain.com. This is important for installs like WordPress because you need to set your domain in the settings.

Here is my problem. I am setting up a Wordpress site with Hostgator. I have pointed all my domains to their name servers. I expect that then I set these secondary domains in the park domain panel and things should just work. However they tell me I mask my domains. I have only know this to be for site Goggle sites. Then they tell me I have to redirect my domain names to my primary domains and not park them. Last they tell me the do not provide complete management for their servers.

Does someone have some experience with this?
    Husbandman.org
    Learning is so unproductive...
    The more I learn the more questions I have!
    Therefore I am going backwards.
  3. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm not entirely sure what the goal is here. You have various domain names: are they supposed to
    a) Go to their own distinct sites?
    b) Redirect, like you try to go to one domain and you get redirected to another?
    c) Be masked, like you try to go to one domain and see the site for another without a redirect?

You should be able to manage everything you need to from one place or another. Each domain has the nameservers pointing to whichever service (HostGator for all of them?) where the websites are actually hosted, and from there it may be a WordPress configuration about the domain name stuff.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo