1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Reverse Dns without recursion

Hi, i need to setup the reverse dns for my mail server, in order to avoid being marked as a spam server.
    I managed to make it work, but i had to activate the recursion in my named.conf (it's a centos server)
    Since i don't like to keep recursion on, is there a way to make work the reverse without activating recursion?
    or at least to activate it only for the mail server?

Thanks
    Simon
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you running this from an ISP network? Unless you are using your own IP's you will probably need to request rDNS from your ISP.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Reverse DNS is top down driven. Unless your ISP has delegated authority to you, nobody will see your PTR records. Unless you have at least a Class C network, they will probably not do that for you, but you may be able to get them to change the PTR record on their server.

J.A. Coutts
  7. No Profile Picture

Talk to the company who is hosting the email server, they should be able to help you out. I have done this myself when I had stuff hosted at SoftLayer before using their control panel, was a nice simple job.
  9. No Profile Picture

sorry but i lost my password and for some reason the forum wont reset it.

The mail server and the dns are both in my company's network, and i've been told that the isp has delegated the dns control to us.
    The reverse dns is working at the present time, so i think it's true that we have local control of the dns.

What i want to achieve is to make the actual working configuration function with recursion off in the named.conf file.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo