1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Secondary DNS name server.

I have just spend the last 12 hours reading as much as I can on DNS and I now think I understand it (well, more then I did 12 hours ago)

I have installed djbdns and I have got working dnscache on my 2 machine network, I have set my Xp machine for DNS and it works, however i can't use tools such as dnsip on the linux machine. Anyway, that not the main problem at the moment ;-)

I understand that its better to have two DNS servers working for your domain. Well, I only have access to one linux machine with a static IP address (mine), and my machine *may* be down over weekend and such (I.E. When I go away working or on holiday).

My domain name is setup at 123-reg.co.uk and this site allows me to change my DNS (http://www.kcoventry.co.uk/dns.jpg)

Could I use 123-reg and change my dns setting there. I could then setup a MX record under my domain then and possibly use 123-reg mx record as a backup. ?

Or, could I use a free service such as http://www.zoneedit.com to host a secondary DNS server. They do offer a secondary DNS but no backup for e-mail (well, you have to pay for it). Is there a free provider of secondary backup e-mail out there ? Is zoneedit anygood ? I have asked my firend who uses linux but as he has no need for DNS, he can't offer a secondary DNS.

Another option is to use my ISP for e-mail relaying. They allow delivery via SMTP and I can finger the smtp server if my machine goes offline and I can pick up my e-mail.

Thanks for any help.

DiGRem
    Last edited by digrem; February 27th, 2003 at 12:20 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> I understand that its better to have two DNS servers working for your domain

To be more precise you should have said two content DNS servers or two tinydns.

>> and my machine *may* be down over weekend

If it will knowingly go down every weekend then you shouldn't even run tinydns as the master content DNS server for your domain in the first place.

>> My domain name is setup at 123-reg.co.uk

Do you really mean hosted at?

>> this site allows me to change my DNS

Not clear enough. Do they let you change your A record?

>> Could I use 123-reg and change my dns setting there

Change what setting?

>> I could then setup a MX record under my domain

You should, if you are allowed to.

>> and possibly use 123-reg mx record as a backup. ?

Absolutely unnecessary. The whole terminology is that, when your single mail server goes down, remote servers trying to reach you would retry the delivery again for at least 3 days. There is no need to have 123-reg pick up your mails temporarily and let anyone there to reveal your mission-critical messages, and do the same thing (retry the delivery) again. That is to say, the 2nd MX must be a trust host, or else just forget it altogether.

>> could I use a free service such as http://www.zoneedit.com to host a secondary DNS server

No, because you are not even hosting your own domain (not running tinydns as the primary).

>> Is there a free provider of secondary backup e-mail out there ?

Just forget about backup email, as you have a dozen other essentials things you should first do, let alone a backup email is useless to you.
  5. No Profile Picture

If it will knowingly go down every weekend then you shouldn't even run tinydns as the master content DNS server for your domain in the first place.
    Sorry, downtime would be a minium but I could see the machine would be down for a least 1 week per year. (Not all at the same time I must add)

Not clear enough. Do they let you change your A record?
    Yes they do, and CNAME. I can also change my name servers without me e-mailing them, but what loses me is it is as simple as changing the nameserver to my static IP address after i have setup tinydns correctly ? Or could I just say - create a A record called "ns1.kcoventry.co.uk" in 123-reg.co.uk DNS setting to resolve to my linux box IP address ?

Change what setting?
    Sorry, I don't have command of the lanuage used yet. I suppose I meant change my DNS settings and name server settings at 123-reg.

>> I could then setup a MX record under my domain

You should, if you are allowed to.
    Allowed to ? By whom ? ISP -> Yes as long as it's not a open SMTP server.

Absolutely unnecessary. The whole terminology is that, when your single mail server goes down, remote servers trying to reach you would retry the delivery again for at least 3 days. There is no need to have 123-reg pick up your mails temporarily and let anyone there to reveal your mission-critical messages, and do the same thing (retry the delivery) again. That is to say, the 2nd MX must be a trust host, or else just forget it altogether.
    Good, that was my main worry. I feel better now that if my machine does go down, I won't lose that much e-mail. (If any)

>> could I use a free service such as http://www.zoneedit.com to host a secondary DNS server

No, because you are not even hosting your own domain (not running tinydns as the primary).
    but if I did run tinydns as my primary, would it be really that neccesary to run a second nameserver as I wouldn't lose any e-mail. (which is my main worry) Ok , I understand that I would lose my www, ftp and e-mail if I lost me Internet connection until the service came back-online.

>> Is there a free provider of secondary backup e-mail out there ?

Just forget about backup email, as you have a dozen other essentials things you should first do, let alone a backup email is useless to you. [/B]
    Fine, I will wory about that later.

I hardest task with DNS is there seem to be lots of different ways to achieve one task. It's finding the best way that's worrying me !

Thanks for your help

DiGRem
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> Yes they do, and CNAME

Then 123-reg currently is hosting your domain. If you purchased your domain thru them, then they are only your registrar. Some registrars offer additional services, like domain hosting and email forwarding. You can change your A, CNAME or whatever records only thru the server who hosts your domain, else you just can't change those.

>> Or could I just say - create a A record called "ns1.kcoventry.co.uk" in 123-reg.co.uk

You can but pointless. Why create an A record and have 123-reg continues to host your domain? Create/update/remove records need not to go thru 123-reg if you host your own domain.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yep, totally understand. I have desided to go for it and run a DNS server.

Just to make sure...

I have installed dnscache on 192.168.1.1
    Installed tinydns on 212.159.104.21.

Copy of my data

Code:
    #Define the authoritative nameserver
    .kcoventry.co.uk::ns1.kcoventry.co.uk
    #Mail Exchanger
    @kcoventry.co.uk::mail.kcoventry.co.uk
    #IP Address
    =machine1.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    #Define NS
    +ns1.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    #Define Mail
    +mail.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    #Define Web
    +www.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    #Define FTP
    +ftp.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21

I have also done the following.

Code:
    cd /service/tinydns/root
         ./add-ns kcoventry.co.uk 212.159.104.21
         make
    I will need to open my firewall to allow port 53 on incomming, won't I ?

I have followed the testing procedure at http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/run-server.html and everything is working fine.

I have also managed to possibly get a second DNS server, off site if I wish.

I suppose all that I need to do now is to login to 123-reg.co.uk and change my name servers to 212.159.104.21 or keithcoventry.force9.co.uk (Which resolves to my static IP address)

Thanks

DiGRem

Update.

Will, I logged in to 123-reg and updated my name server to
    keithcoventry.force9.co.uk (Which is 212.159.104.21) and a temp lame server.

I went to samspade.org and checked my DNS entry and for some reason my IP address changed. it was showing 212.159.104.22 for the primary name server

I went to force9.co.uk and checked my static IP address and to my astonishment, my static IP is 212.159.104.20 with a netmask of 255.255.255.252 WTF. I never was told about this, let alone signup for it. I suppose this means I have No-NAT on my account. Should I keep this setup ? Could I use 212.159.104.21 as primary and 212.159.104.22 as secondary ?

Update 2. One of my friends runs a VISP and will give me a secondary name server on his machine. I suppose the only draw back is that if I update my DNS I will need to tell him about the changes.
    Last edited by digrem; March 1st, 2003 at 10:49 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I really don't care who 123-reg.co.uk and force9.co.uk and samspade.org are as they are more confusing since you mentioned them.
    As far as your data file this is the correct version:
    Code:
    Zkcoventry.co.uk:ns1.kcoventry.co.uk:hostmaster.kcoventry.co.uk
    &kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21:ns1.kcoventry.co.uk
    &kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.22:ns2.kcoventry.co.uk
    +machine1.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    +www.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    +ftp.kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    +kcoventry.co.uk:212.159.104.21
    @kcoventry.co.uk::ns1.kcoventry.co.uk.:0
    mail.kcoventry.co.uk is removed because you shouldn't use it in the first place. Never use the . line because it's absolutely useless, use Z line instead.

>> cd /service/tinydns/root ./add-ns kcoventry.co.uk

Do not use any of the script there, they are totally useless. Just alter data file by hand.

>> I will need to open my firewall to allow port 53 on incomming

Incoming udp from 53 and 1024-65535. TCP is almost never needed.

>> only draw back is that if I update my DNS I will need to tell him about the changes

Depends on which nameserver. If he also runs tinydns then you can just use rsync over ssh.

>> Could I use 212.159.104.21 as primary and 212.159.104.22 as secondary ?

Yes.
  13. No Profile Picture

mail.kcoventry.co.uk is removed because you shouldn't use it in the first place. Never use the . line because it's absolutely useless, use Z line instead.
    Can I ask why this link need to be removed ?

Can I forward my e-mail to a different address whist allowing my DNS server to operate. I am having a few problems with my SMTP server at the mo.

Also, my second ns server is called "ns.mywebserver.net" I would have to change the 3rd line down to

&kcoventry.co.uk:216.118.80.100:ns.mywebserver.net

wouldn't I ?

Thanks for all your help freebsd.

DiGRem
    Last edited by digrem; March 4th, 2003 at 03:01 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> Can I ask why this link need to be removed ?

Because using ns1.kcoventry.co.uk as your MX is much more reliable than using mail.kcoventry.co.uk.

>> Can I forward my e-mail to a different address whist allowing my DNS server to operate

Why not?

>> my second ns server is called "ns.mywebserver.net"

Then you don't need to provide 216.118.80.100 because nobody will ask your server for the IP of ns.mywebserver.net.
  17. No Profile Picture

Fine, thanks for that. I have updated the nameserver at 123-reg and my DNS is now working and I am receiving my e-mail and www page now.

DiGRem

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo