1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sending email from another server [DNS Settings]

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are able to assist with my issue - I'm facing some problems with setting up my domain so I am able to send emails from it from another server.

I've looked over google and found competing information on how this should be setup, so thought I would get a definite answer by asking the question myself;

I have a domain, lets call it aaa.com
    I have a server, lets call it 123.123.123.123

My domain aaa.com is hosted on shared hosted, I have full control of the DNS.

My server (123.123.123.123) sends a newsletter for my site aaa.com weekly (opt-in, its news not advertising).

What DNS records to I need to set on my domain aaa.com to allow my server (IP: 123.123.123.123) to appear as a "Yes" on the permitted senders list when the emails are sent?

Thanks,
    Richard
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you're referring to a SPF record, you might want something like below. This information is entered technically as a TXT record most of the time. However, both TXT and SPF records exist. To be certain, you may want to add it for both.

v=spf1 ip4:123.123.123.123 -all"

This will specify that only emails should be coming from that IP address and all others should be denied. So in a shared environment, you want to make sure you have all possible IP's the mail will come from as well as make sure they aren't going to change it without notifying you.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hello CaptPikel,

Thanks for responding!

So am I correct in assuming I would just add the following if I needed .111 as well?

v=spf1 ip4:123.123.123.123 ip4:123.123.123.111 -all

or would I need a new txt/spf item for each IP?

Thanks,
    Richard
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That will work. You can also specify ip4 statements in the CIDR format if there are a lot. Just one record is all you need, from there you can add multiple statements for the record.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo