1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Server 2008 R2: DNS records not dynamically registering in workgroup/static IP scenar

OK, I believe my scenerio to be pretty straight forward...but maybe not.

I have a workgroup of computers in a mixed environment. There is no DHCP and its a flat /24 subnet with static IPs. We are installing Isilon storage that requires DNS, however, in this workgroup we do not have DNS.

I brought a Windows Server 2008 R2 server online, assigned the DNS role, and followed the "Configure your DNS server wizard". After doing so, I configured two servers with the DNS IP, ensured everything under Advanced TCP/IP settings for DNS was configured properly, but I cannot ping each of the two servers using their hostnames. I can, however, ping VIA IP address.

I can create a forward look up records for each server and ping each server successfully only using the FQDN (in this case, server1.vod.cbs.net and server2.vod.cbs.net). vod.cbs.net is not a real domain, I only created it for the forward look up zone.

At the end of the day, what I want is to configure the DNS feature on each of my servers, have it register with the DNS server automatically and be able to ping each server ONLY using the hostname, in this case server1 and server2, not the FQDN.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Nick
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Since your computers are not joined to a local domain, by default it will not appened vod.cbs.net to any dns queries. If you were using DHCP, you could have it append a DNS suffix automatically for you, but you aren't going that route either. Under advanced TCP/IP properties>DNS you can tell each workstation to append the vod.cbs.net to DNS to it's suffix and that may fix the problem for you. Otherwise you could try modifying the hosts file on each machine.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo