1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Setting DNS and name server.

Hi.

I am in a process of moving my site from a regular hosting to a dedicated server. It looks like I am missing something very basic in DNS and name servers settings. I have this situation:

1. Domain name is registered with one company (domain registrar A)

2. The site is currently hosted with second company (hosting company B)

3. The Dedicated server is with third company (hosting company C). On the dedicated server I have Windows installed, and a control panel (Plesk). So far so good. My site was defined in Plesk.

My problem is with the name servers. Company B gave me name servers for the domain that I host - something like ns1.hostingb.com ns2.hostingb.com. In the CompanyA domain control panel I entered these two name servers, and the site migrated to company B hosting plan after dns propagation of several hours.

Company C did not give me name servers by name, (i.e. ns1.companyc.com), but only IP addresses (say 1.2.3.4 and 1.2.3.5)

Domain control panel of company A does not allow IP addresses as name servers. Here I am stuck.

How can I create my own name servers, or have an alias like ns.something.com for 1.2.3.4 IP address? It probably is one small step, but I already tried several options and feel pretty stuck with it.

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If I understand your post correctly, your domain is registered with Company A, your DNS server (host) is with Company B, and your server is with Company C. This is not an uncommon situation. The registrar only wants the IP addresses of the servers that host your domain. The hosting Company wants you to set up the DNS records (SOA, A, PTR etc) that define your domain. For example, when someone asks for the "A" record for your domain, their DNS goes to the root servers and finds out where your domain is hosted. The DNS then goes to the hosting site (Company B), and finds out where your domain is located by IP address.

Normally the registrar would ask for IP addresses, but it is possible they could ask for them by name and find and verify that they are valid.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by couttsj
    If I understand your post correctly, your domain is registered with Company A, your DNS server (host) is with Company B, and your server is with Company C. This is not an uncommon situation. The registrar only wants the IP addresses of the servers that host your domain. The hosting Company wants you to set up the DNS records (SOA, A, PTR etc) that define your domain. For example, when someone asks for the "A" record for your domain, their DNS goes to the root servers and finds out where your domain is hosted. The DNS then goes to the hosting site (Company B), and finds out where your domain is located by IP address.

Normally the registrar would ask for IP addresses, but it is possible they could ask for them by name and find and verify that they are valid.

J.A. Coutts
    Well, not exactly
    CompanyB is a hosting environment that I am trying to leave and not to use any more. I have a new dedicated server, and I want to use only it.
    1. I created a new domain in Plesk. (on the dedicated server)
    2. In the domain registrar control panel, I created two new hosts ns1.mydomain.com (IP 1.2.3.4) and ns2.mydomain.com (1.2.3.5).
    3. At the same domain registrar control panel, I changed name servers for mydomain to be
    ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

So now I would expect to have the site on my dedicated server. But instead, when I ping mydomain.com, I only get this:
    Ping request could not find host mydomain.com Please check the name and try again.
    Kind of stuck now. Waiting 48 hours more for DNS propagation, but my fealings tell me that I am doing something wrong
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by pastch
    Well, not exactly
    CompanyB is a hosting environment that I am trying to leave and not to use any more. I have a new dedicated server, and I want to use only it.
    1. I created a new domain in Plesk. (on the dedicated server)
    2. In the domain registrar control panel, I created two new hosts ns1.mydomain.com (IP 1.2.3.4) and ns2.mydomain.com (1.2.3.5).
    3. At the same domain registrar control panel, I changed name servers for mydomain to be
    ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

So now I would expect to have the site on my dedicated server. But instead, when I ping mydomain.com, I only get this:
    Ping request could not find host mydomain.com Please check the name and try again.
    Kind of stuck now. Waiting 48 hours more for DNS propagation, but my fealings tell me that I am doing something wrong
    Verify that ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com exist by using the command line tool nslookup. If they do exist, then change the server to one of those and check that it will return an "A" record for your domain. I suspect that you should be using the servers that Company C gave you, and if you give us the real domain name and the Company C nameservers, we can check it for you. Otherwise we are just guessing.

J.A. Coutts
  9. No Profile Picture

It appeared to be a problem with hosting welcome mail. They gave me wrong IP addresses. I asked them to use their name servers, they agreed and it works now.

nslookup tool helped a lot.

Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo