1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Setting Up A Domain Name

I've set up a webserver and because I'm a complete newbie to this area (I've always used other people's webservers) I could do with some help setting up my domain name. I know the IP address of my server and the nameserver etc... But what I want to know is where do I go to register a domain, cheaply (ie without too much added on the database fee), so that I choose the IP address that it points to?
  3. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet

You can register your domain with virtually any registration service or domain reseller, just be sure that you are listed as the domain admin, can modify all your domain information without having to pay additional fees, and can transfer your domain or change ownership without any hidden charges.

Some of the "dirt cheap" domain registration services have hidden fees as high as $50 to change your domain information.

I decided to get into the domain name business when I was fooled by one of these cheap services and had to pay $50 to transfer my domain ownership to another person - so do be careful there are no hidden fees with whomever you choose.

Once you have a domain, you need DNS servers. I'm currently recommending EveryDNS.net for simple DNS services (until I get my own services running). They are free for a limited number of domains, give you an easy to use web interface to define your data, and have 3 (soon to be 4) servers running in different parts of the world as their servers.

You would use ns1.everydns.net and ns2 (or 3).everydns.net as your nameservers when you register your domain. You would then go to www.everydns.net and define your IP address as pointing to your web server. Define your MX records for mail, etc.

It will take a few days for the DNS information to make it's way around the Internet.

If you are running your own server, you will have a bit more work to do, not limited to defining your server name, configuring Apache to serve your domain, etc., but this will get the DNS basics out of the way.

-t
    Last edited by thewitt; January 5th, 2002 at 11:05 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> so that I choose the IP address that it points to?

You can't just do that. When you purchase a domain from a registrar, note, they are just registrar, not necessary the domain hoster. Like thewitt said, you need to find a host to host your domain, then you'd tell your host about your IP.

>> where do I go to register a domain, cheaply

Believe me, register.com is the worst registrar on the net. godaddy.com is one of the best registrar, it's cheap too.
  7. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet

Originally posted by freebsd
    [clip]Believe me, register.com is the worst registrar on the net. godaddy.com is one of the best registrar, it's cheap too.
    Have you ever tried to change ownership information at godaddy? I've had customers tell me they charge $50 to change the owner of a domain.

-t
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> Have you ever tried to change ownership information at godaddy?

Nope, if you mean the name of the registrant. BTW, how often should the registrant ownership name be changed to someone else?

I like godaddy because they are cheap, fast enough on transferring process and ease of changing info in no time.
  11. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet

Have you transferred away from them? This reportedly comes with a $20 fee as well.

As for changing registrant information, this particular customer is a woman who changed her name (after a divorce) and wanted her domain names (20+ of them) to have her pre-marriage name.

I just read through the support document she posted on my site and she claims that godaddy charged her $19.95 for each domain she transfered out of their system as well.

I'm going to go register one with them and see if I can verify this stuff for myself. I really don't mean to spread rumors - just interested in verifying their business practices, since you are a satisfied customer - I thought you would be a fair person to ask.

-t
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> Have you transferred away from them?

No and no reason to because I can't find a better registrar for me to transfer domains away from godaddy.

>> This reportedly comes with a $20 fee as well

There could be more hidden charges but none of them applies to me or to most people.

>> since you are a satisfied customer

You're correct. And I have yet to experience an odd situation like your just-divorced customer.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo